Drums + College?

Hey guys, I'm starting to get adjusted to the college life, and had a few questions about how to go about band rehearsals and other scenarios.

Since I can't exactly fit my own drum kit (plus it'd be a PITA to bring it on the subway), how does it normally work out? Many ads on Craigslist and the like make no mention of having a drum kit ready (and probably don't have one); I want to be fully informed before even attempting to respond to any of these ads.

Last edited:
i have my acoustic in a small storage unit, it costs me like 24 dollars a month, i purchased an electric Yamaha drum kit for my room to practice on day to day, we also get practice time at school so a lot of times a guitarist will bring a small amp into the drum practice rooms at school and we will play, but you didn't mention if you where at music school? if you are thats a good option.

i have my acoustic in a small storage unit, it costs me like 24 dollars a month, i purchased an electric Yamaha drum kit for my room to practice on day to day, we also get practice time at school so a lot of times a guitarist will bring a small amp into the drum practice rooms at school and we will play, but you didn't mention if you where at music school? if you are thats a good option.

Not in music school, haha. I also forgot to mention that my kit is 6 hours (by car) away from my school.

The school has a communal kit for practice but I can't take it anywhere off campus.

Yes. Perhaps renting a small storage or practice space?

Also, you could invest in an Electronic Drum set. You could even fold that up and take it around to practices. They're not that big.

Another option would be to invest in a nice practice pad on a stand in addition to a bass drum practice pad. I'm not sure what brand makes it, but I have a small bass drum practice pad that's basically just a rubber pad on a stand. I connect my Iron Cobra to it and it works great.

Yes. Perhaps renting a small storage or practice space?

Also, you could invest in an Electronic Drum set. You could even fold that up and take it around to practices. They're not that big.

Another option would be to invest in a nice practice pad on a stand in addition to a bass drum practice pad. I'm not sure what brand makes it, but I have a small bass drum practice pad that's basically just a rubber pad on a stand. I connect my Iron Cobra to it and it works great.

Not concerned about practicing; my campus has a kit that we can use, but just can't take off campus.

More concerned about when people put postings up (i.e. craigslist) for jams/rehearsals... not sure how to do that without a kit available to haul

Back