Musician vs Artist

Well lets get some perspective because Art is visual and auditory.
"Art is a diverse range of human activities ....."

Well, I'm not going to edit wiki, but there's a lot I disagree with just in that little snippet.

To me, art is not an activity, but can be the result of an activity.
It can be solid, as in a painting or sculpture, or ephemeral, as in dance, or a music performance.
I also think it's a bit presumptuous to claim it as the exclusive province of humans.

But I'm not in charge of making definitions, so have at it - LOL

I like to use the term artist for someone creates original, finished artworks, including painters, choreographer/dancers, singer/songwriters. A person who conceives the idea and also makes the finished product.

I use the term craftsman for someone who accurately reproduces something many times, including pottery, furniture, orchestral musicians, cover band musicians, etc.

Sums it up nicely for me.

For my money, Dylan, Bowie, Lou Reed, Tom Waits, Bruce Springsteen, Miles Davis etc. cross the line from musician to artist IMO.

I like to use the term artist for someone creates original, finished artworks, including painters, choreographer/dancers, singer/songwriters. A person who conceives the idea and also makes the finished product.

I use the term craftsman for someone who accurately reproduces something many times, including pottery, furniture, orchestral musicians, cover band musicians, etc.

Ya - I'd amend my previous craftsman remark.
In regards to drumming, the craft is the practice - burning the neural brain pathways through repetition.
The art is the weaving together of those pathways through improvisation, or being 'in the zone'.

Back