Rudimental Solos and swing

svinohryak

Hi everyone
I often hear that playing The All American Drummer 150 Rudimental Solos by Charley Wilcoxon is right way to learn how to play jazz solo. But essential part is not just play it but 'swing' it. So how to get this right swing feeling while playing these solos?
I've checked some videos with Jeff Hamilton and it's usefull. But maybe you can give me any advice and more videos.

I like Wilcoxin's book: Modern Rudimental Swing Solos for the Advanced Drummer. Given the era that this material was written in, I strongly recommend listening to a lot of music from the 20's-40's. A lot of the music.

He has a piece in that book dedicated to Gene Krupa so it's supposed to swing hard.
These solos are supposed be musical, I've heard guys blazing through them like a machine gun at a drum corp audition but they don't swing at those tempos.
Good luck and have fun with these, keep it at a swinging tempo and let those accents pop.

What do you mean saying 'let those accents pop'?
Should I play accents louder and other notes much quieter to make it swing, or should I add more accents, and try to play phrases by accenting first and last notes?

Hi everyone
I often hear that playing The All American Drummer 150 Rudimental Solos by Charley Wilcoxon is right way to learn how to play jazz solo.

I think it's important to note that the book doesn't aim to teach you how to be a better jazz soloist, it helps you understand how rudiments fit into your jazz solos. Here's the description from the book:

"a method book for snare drum built around the application of the 26 standard rudiments. Features include 150 rudimental solos of traditional and jazz influence."

I know it might seem like I'm nitpicking, but it's important to note that the book does not teach you how to solo in jazz, rather it teaches you how to apply rudiments to your playing.

But essential part is not just play it but 'swing' it. So how to get this right swing feeling while playing these solos?
I've checked some videos with Jeff Hamilton and it's usefull. But maybe you can give me any advice and more videos.

If you aren't sure how to swing yet, I'd put the Wilcoxon book away for a bit and start with something like Ted Reed's Syncopation, then move on to Chapin's the Art of Bop Drumming, so you can get more of an understanding of swing feel.

Also, listen to some jazz records!

I think it's important to note that the book doesn't aim to teach you how to be a better jazz soloist, it helps you understand how rudiments fit into your jazz solos. Here's the description from the book:

"a method book for snare drum built around the application of the 26 standard rudiments. Features include 150 rudimental solos of traditional and jazz influence."

Question. Take a look at the attached image of a sample page from the book. How do you subdivide the quarter notes here? Do you simply play it straight, not swung?

Attachments

• wilcoxon.png
    wilcoxon.png
    109.2 KB · Views: 370
Personally I don't go for a "quantized" subdivided beat approach.
In that excerpt you posted, play the phrase of accents only first on their own. Get that little phase or groove going as the musical statement. The other notes are filling in the empty space. If that make sense.

Here's one interpretation of that piece.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRH7PVXuGoA

Back