Danny Gottlieb: The Evolution of Jazz Drumming?

ronyd

Silver Member
anyone have this book?

From the reviews I read, almost like a must have for beginner or advanced drummers getting into jazz.

I think the idea when getting into jazz, or anything else that might be new, is just choosing one method(there are many) and stick with it. Then supplement or go through something else.

The book is fairly comprehensive in that it deals with a lot of drummers and deals with solos. It's not a step by step how-too book. It's a historical biographical style study.

I just went back to the Blackley book myself.

Solo transcriptions are fine and I'll eventually go through more, but I like what I like IYKWIM.

Thankx. I'm certainly not ready for soling for sure. What caught my eye in the index was the exercises. I'll check out Blackley.

I think the idea when getting into jazz, or anything else that might be new, is just choosing one method(there are many) and stick with it. Then supplement or go through something else.

The book is fairly comprehensive in that it deals with a lot of drummers and deals with solos. It's not a step by step how-too book. It's a historical biographical style study.

I just went back to the Blackley book myself.

Solo transcriptions are fine and I'll eventually go through more, but I like what I like IYKWIM.

Well, there are many to choose from.

If you haven't played any jazz there are many things you can do.

Soloing is really that you have to think in triplets and swing and listen to the music. So if you are doing most of your technique and accent practice in 16ths then maybe do it both swinging and in triplets. Then you just have to work on melody and phrasing like any jazz musician on any instrument. Singing is a good idea.

The Jim Blackely book is called the Essence of Jazz Drumming for a reason. That's exactly what it is. He goes through ride patterns and comping patterns which he deems essential and the idea is to truly engrain them slowly, at a slow tempo, too.

Todd tipped me about a Joel Rothman book, Compleat Jazz Drummer, which I don'thave yet, but it's a known classic it seems and the point would be to work it the same way.

Like with any other music it's about the groove, or "swing", and that's all about the ride and the bass player.

Back