Stools and Swivels

Wrong. A throne is what the Queen sits on. Its huge, has a high winged back and is covered in plush velvet and sold gold leaf. A drummer sits on a stool. Always has and always will. Where do these stupid terms come from anyway? Bah, humbug.

So if I tear off a leg from my throne to show someone the material, you're saying that is actually a stool sample?

Never even thought of locking the throne. Why in the world would anyone do that ? It's not a car for pete's sake.

New discoveries every day on DW.

Have a great night!

All jokes aside, and of course you can do whatever you want, but I strongly suggest the locked position.

With a swiveling seat, your lower back is now working to keep your hips still as you play, this leads to lower back problems over time. I've known several drummers who developed lower back problems because of the swiveling seat. With the seat locked, your back is not having to compensate and your playing is better supported. This is why those canister thrones were so popular in the day, they didn't swivel, and those players didn't develop the lower back problems the later generation did the confronted with the swiveling seat.

All jokes aside, and of course you can do whatever you want, but I strongly suggest the locked position.

With a swiveling seat, your lower back is now working to keep your hips still as you play, this leads to lower back problems over time. I've known several drummers who developed lower back problems because of the swiveling seat. With the seat locked, your back is not having to compensate and your playing is better supported. This is why those canister thrones were so popular in the day, they didn't swivel, and those players didn't develop the lower back problems the later generation did the confronted with the swiveling seat.

Never thought of that, but it could make sense.

The flip side to it would be that having an unlocked throne could develop strong core muscles.
Or maybe you'd have to have strong core muscles to start with in order to prevent back problems.
I don't know enough about it. I just never even considered not being able to move freely when playing.

Seems to me that swivel thrones are mostly for getting in/out, not really used much in moving around the kit. I'm noticing barely any movement in the throne from even large and fast side-to-side movements. A little, but we're talking only a few degrees of rotation. Only enough to slide the foot an inch to the side... so still on the sweet spot of the pedals. If I move from my hips joints, then things go out, but turning by pushing off the opposite rocker/sit bone/ischial tuberosity doesn't really move the seat, as the weight seems to go straight down the central post. Moving from the hip joints, the the vector is off center and spins the seat. Slouching doesn't seem to make a difference one way or the other.

Mine swivels. I think heel down/heel up playing may have a bearing, just a theory. I would think that for a heel up player, they would want the stool to not rotate, to be nice and solid feeling. I'm guessing here. Since my feet are on the ground, there's my solid feeling, so I like my stool to not fight me when I want to rotate my torso a little.

Seems to me that swivel thrones are mostly for getting in/out, not really used much in moving around the kit. I'm noticing barely any movement in the throne from even large and fast side-to-side movements. A little, but we're talking only a few degrees of rotation. Only enough to slide the foot an inch to the side... so still on the sweet spot of the pedals. If I move from my hips joints, then things go out, but turning by pushing off the opposite rocker/sit bone/ischial tuberosity doesn't really move the seat, as the weight seems to go straight down the central post. Moving from the hip joints, the the vector is off center and spins the seat. Slouching doesn't seem to make a difference one way or the other.

Ya, I'm on board with John. I'm recently trying out the ROC n Soc nitro and the movement is minimal if I'm centered and using proper technique. Actually I'm thinking that it may be a good tool to expose poor technique! If you're spinning to nine O'Clock when you play,clearly there are balance issues to address.

Never thought of that, but it could make sense.

The flip side to it would be that having an unlocked throne could develop strong core muscles.
Or maybe you'd have to have strong core muscles to start with in order to prevent back problems.
I don't know enough about it. I just never even considered not being able to move freely when playing.

Perhaps. But the question is, are you there to build up core muscles or are you there to play music? I don't want my instrument getting in the way of doing that as painlessly as I can. I'm trying to concentrate on making the music good.

Well - you know - those times in the summer when you're all hot and sweaty and you gotta' rip your shirt off and show your abs - LOL

Well - you know - those times in the summer when you're all hot and sweaty and you gotta' rip your shirt off and show your abs - LOL

I don't think people want to see me unclothed. I don't want to see me unclothed ;)

Back