A few recording questions

A few thoughts:

Focus on performance. If the spirit, vibe and sound of the music being played is good then it will shine through as per Billy Ray's comment.

This site has helped me with EQ and sound quality. Beware of 300-400Hz if you dislike muddiness: http://www.recordingeq.com/EQ/req0400/OctaveEQ.htm

Use directional mics for close micing. Use omnis for overheads.

Agree with Smoothoperator that punch-ins sound sterile. Just play the damn music :)

Snare buzz and tom ring are facts of life. Many engineers like very dampened drums, separated so they can bring the life back in with reverb. It's easier than tuning the drums well and adjusting tuning to reduce sympathetic ring.

You might like to check out Bob Gatzen videos on tuning - he discusses adjusting tuning of a drum to reduce snare buzz. I imagine the principle would be much the same with ringing toms - some frequencies will make a nearby drum head vibrate more than others.

Very cool stuff. Really enjoyed it.

Curious to hear what it will sound like when you touch up the mix/EQ.

It's been a while. (Again) Buuut, we did touch up the mix a bit on this new demo. (it's just from a jam)

https://aesh.bandcamp.com/track/jam-full-version-better-mix

It's still nothing great, but I'm very happy with how the kick sounds, and basically every cymbal except for the hats sounds good enough for me. The only thing I'm really not satisfied with is the snare. It's a 13x7 Pork Pie Hip Pig, and I love the way it sounds in person (very loud and crack-y) but for some reason(s) we can't seem to get the right mic'd sound from it. Any tips on that, maybe relating to mic placement?

One of my favourite snare placements is with the snare mic parallel to the head surface, about an inch above the head and 1/2 an inch over the rim. The snare sounds very dry as well. When a snare is too dry and muffled it can also stop the sounds of the snare coming through. You could try some eq on the snare mic between 4-6kHz to also bring out the 'snares' a bit more.

It's been a while. (Again) Buuut, we did touch up the mix a bit on this new demo. (it's just from a jam)

https://aesh.bandcamp.com/track/jam-full-version-better-mix

Great stuff. The music and performance is good enough that it warrants some real consideration in order to get the recording right.

As others have pointed out, the snare needs work. You want to capture the crack of the top head, you want to capture the sizzle of the bottom. This is often resolved with two mics, or the placement of the left overhead condenser directly over the snare and a dynamic under the snare pointing at the wires. When I record, I tend to run the wires a touch looser than I do when I play.

Sound stage needs a little work so that it doesn't sound so much like a bunch of disparate tracks. This is easy to resolve with a room mic, and harder to resolve with actual studio/mixing/engineering talent and experience.

Aside from that, you're on the right track (pun). Keep it up. Looking forward to hearing more.

I actually liked the way the toms sounded in the first clip. They were more alive and resonant. The bass drum is much improved, as is the snare, but the snare sound is just so dry and uninspiring. You can add body and vibrance to the snare by simply adding reverb to it. But a deeper, 14" snare tuned tight (but not choked!) would be even better - and don't forget the reverb. (Snare only) I'm enjoying hearing your work. Keep it coming.

GeeDeeEmm

As others have pointed out, the snare needs work. You want to capture the crack of the top head, you want to capture the sizzle of the bottom. This is often resolved with two mics, or the placement of the left overhead condenser directly over the snare and a dynamic under the snare pointing at the wires. When I record, I tend to run the wires a touch looser than I do when I play.

Yep. The snare's really the only thing I really don't like right now. We have our first show coming up in not too long, so I won't be able to record much until after that (we're scrambling to make and practice a setlist, etc.) but I'll definitely try all that when I have time. Thanks for the tips :)

I actually liked the way the toms sounded in the first clip. They were more alive and resonant. The bass drum is much improved, as is the snare, but the snare sound is just so dry and uninspiring. You can add body and vibrance to the snare by simply adding reverb to it. But a deeper, 14" snare tuned tight (but not choked!) would be even better - and don't forget the reverb. (Snare only) I'm enjoying hearing your work. Keep it coming.

Thanks for the feedback. I agree about the toms. We were trying another way of recording them in the new demo, but I think I'll go back to the first way next time we record.

Back