About these 13" snare drums...

So Bo, how is this "I'm getting rid of all my drums/simplify/don't need so many snares,kits, etc etc" working out for you?

:)

So Bo, how is this "I'm getting rid of all my drums/simplify/don't need so many snares,kits, etc etc" working out for you?

:)

It was working out great until I took a gig playing with a brass band which ended up just abusing my nice new drums out on a football field....

I know and hear you, but - sorry - this was too good to miss!

Enjoy the new gig, you're starting quite soon, right?

Frankly....I like having the extra room. You get a little older and less flexible (and I play twin pedals)- a 13" is just a bit more comfortable. Have a13" Allegra Master Craft and DW 10 & 6. 14" DW Jazz.

Both are 6 to 6.5 depth. When I play the14" I notice the lack of room. Nothing I can't handle. But I prefer the 13".

Curse you Matt Eder! I've never even touched a 13 inch snare drum and now I have to see what I'm missing. You make it sound so irresistable! Curse you and your GAS! You've infected me too!

yeh...I never get tired of my 13 x 6 maple back panther. just ....can't even describe it, just love it.

Curse you Matt Eder! I've never even touched a 13 inch snare drum and now I have to see what I'm missing. You make it sound so irresistable! Curse you and your GAS! You've infected me too!

I kid you not Larry! The 13 inch snare is a true revelation! I'm surprised YOU haven't tried one yet! It can't be GAS if it really is a useful new sound. I don't like small bass drums, but the theory works really well for snares. I can't believe it's taken me 35 years to finally use a 13 inch snare!

Andy is even getting one ;)

I could see myself liking a 13 x 7. That size just seems like it would pop. I really don't need it, I'm very happy with my snare, but I'll try some 13's out the next chance I get.

I could see myself liking a 13 x 7. That size just seems like it would pop. I really don't need it, I'm very happy with my snare, but I'll try some 13's out the next chance I get.

For what is worth, 13x7 seems to be my favorite snare size, I really like my Mapex blaster.
I would like to try the same size in bubinga some day but those seem to be pretty rare around here. May even need to be custom built.

My pride and joy is my 13"x5.75" Beech Benny Greb snare. It was my first good snare purchase, and I do not regret it in the slightest. Funnily enough, my first snare was a really cheap Dixon 14"x something shallow (can't remember, sorry) which I use as a secondary snare. The 14" is tuned higher than my 13" and I've gotten some lifted eyebrows by some when they see that my secondary is wider, lol. I find having the 13" is very comfortable for me too, as I also have a small frame, and the hihat positioning is really nice. (even w/ a slave pedal!)

Andy is even getting one ;)
Andy already had one, but sold it as part of my total gear change to Guru (for obvious reasons). It was a 13" x 6" maple stave by Spaun. I don't think they made the shell. Either way, selling it was nothing to do with how good a drum it was, it was a commercial decision. That little 13" stave maple popped like mad, yet had a very distinctive maple tone, & a good level of depth too.

If I've got enough wood left over, I'll be getting a 13" x 8" satinwood stave snare. We've got to do some more testing on the Origin system to see if it's suitable for very high tensions, but if it is, the satinwood snare would have a 6mm thick stave shell, & be effectively free floating. Now that's an interesting puppy right there :)

I was using a 12" snare for a while and got really used to its size and sound. Now a 13" seems just a little large, and my 14's seem huge.

I'll bet that a month or so from now though, Bo will be bad-mouthing the 13's, and talking up the 14's again - ha ha ha.

You definitely lose a bit of power and volume with one less inch but I really love that focused and enclosed sorta sound you get from a 13x7.

It's funny, I'm pretty sure I would like a 13 x 7 but a 12 x anything just doesn't seem like it would cut it for me. I am not a 2nd snare type guy, one per kit for me, and a 12 just doesn't seem like it is man enough to handle the job of a main snare.

It's funny, I'm pretty sure I would like a 13 x 7 but a 12 x anything just doesn't seem like it would cut it for me. I am not a 2nd snare type guy, one per kit for me, and a 12 just doesn't seem like it is man enough to handle the job of a main snare.

I agree on the 12s. A friend of mine at Disney started bringing his 12 in to play with one of the bands and the band leader (after one day of letting him use it on set) asked him to please bring in a 14 snare after that - you kinda' don't argue when you're on a big paying long-term job like that. I always thought 12s were too small.

But I doubt I would bad-mouth the 13 - I really do feel the size works out. In a theoretical sense, it almost matches the rest of the kit sonically because with my 14 Copeland heavy brass snare, that drum just cuts right through the rest of the kit, so at times I feel I'm playing with a little less gusto on the Copeland, but when I go to the toms, I'm playing a bit harder on those. With the 13, I'm not having to think in those terms, my sense of power on all the drums levels out, again, another reason I think they're much easier to play.

And besides, how much power do you need? IF you did a big gig, you'd be mic'd up anyway ;)

Back