Roland TD-9K2 JAM ALONGS???

Cilewis89

I have the Roland TD-9 electric kit and I'm wondering if anyone know where to download and new jam along tracks for the modual... or any good jam along songs I can download else where and just throw on my Ipod.

Last thing I've noticed the hi-hat on the td-9 isnt that great. It doesn't pick up rolls too well and its just not as sensitive as the rest of the set. Anyone know of any other roland hi-hats that are more sensitive?

Your problem is likely rubber/dust build up in the Hi-hat trigger. I have typed this out before so I am just going to paste it below. You can find out a lot more info about it on eDrum forums

E-drums are amazing since they are pieces of sensitive electrical equipment designed to be banged on heavily by drum sticks. However, sometimes they break and wear out, so make sure the check the kit thoroughly first. Probably the most common issue with recent Roland kits is clogged cymbal triggers. As the cymbals are banged, a bit of the rubber wears away inside the trigger and clogs up the trigger. The issue can be fixed by opening up the cymbal and cleaning the trigger, but you have to be careful doing it. I have only had it happen to my hi-hat (it triggered inconsistently when playing fast patterns), but it was easy to fix when I pulled it open. Roland would not honor my warranty because i bought it used. Just something to be aware of.

You could always try going into the triggers settings on the module, turning the gain up on the hi-hat trigger and also fiddling with the self-rejection time on it too.
If it's set too low it may just be cancelling your rolls thinking it's a double trigger/vibration.
There's no winning formula so I can't give you precise setting, you need to experiment as you're tailoring it to YOUR playing.

I'd try that before pulling the cymbal open but, if this doesn't work then good luck pulling it open!

Oh I forgot, I'm not sure if the TD9k has this feature, it should but herw goes:

There should be an option to set the velocity you want your lowest dynamic volume at. You could turn this up if it's too quiet or even not resgistering to your ears.
Beware though, you are squashing your dynamic range, this could really spoil your expression.
Personally I've turned all my down. Took a bit of fine tuning but, I have a much bigger dynamic range and it closer mimmicks a real drumkit when I go from super quiet to super loud.

I don't think this method is the key to fixing your problem but, I think it could help you milk every last bit of response and feel from your kit. Once you get to grips with these setting do it to all your pads individually to get their response just right.

Hope it helps!

Back