Drum finish repair

buzzbuzz

I scratched the heck out of my bass drum with my rack. I have a sparkle finish that is a paint with 8 coats of laquer. I'm not worried about fixing the paint (will only show a small scratch). But, who can I get to fix the laquer finish?

a photo would be helpful here dude. but if its just scratched and not dented, try some G3 automotive rubbing compound and then finish with G10. its what we do with car scratches.

if the scratches are really rough, use some flexible laquer used on car bumpers and rub down with some G3.

apart form that, you could try some 1500 or 2000 grade wet&dry sandpaper

If you're worried about doing it yourself then find a furniture repair shop and ask if they know someone who can polish out a scratch in a laquer finish. If you're in the UK look for a French Polisher. Sounds intriguing , but it's just a wood finisher.

I have a couple of deep scratches on top of my bass drum caused by my kid pushing one of the toms and the lug dug right into it. It's a wood cherry finish. I have pictures to show. does anyone know how I can repair it?

any help is appreciated!!!
thank you,
pat

Most lacquer finishes after about 1990 are most likely created with the same grade of materials as an auto finish. Meaning x number or color coats followed by x number of clear coats. Like was mentioned above, any car-grade rubbing or polishing compound followed by a coat of any good liquid or paste wax will do fine. Please note that any "rubbing" compound contains abrasives which actually cut into the clear top coats and blend it into any scratches or imperfections. I would do all this by hand as a wheel will surley burn into the paint if you don't know what you're doing. After rubbing you'll use car polish, followed by wax to shine it up.
p.s. start with a medium-duty rubbing compound as the red/heavy duty stuff really cuts.

Back