Top 5 Reasons It Sucks to be a Drummer

Yes, but there are benefits. You can be the old fart in a young band & get away with it. This means acres of hot chicks digging your stuff, & enough eye candy to make the whole setup & teardown worth it.

As mainly a guitar player who now wants to work more on the drums I don't really see much difference either way.

Very funny article, thank you! It's right on! I don't know how many times I've been asked "are you in the band?" right after I get off stage. But I like it that way. :)

Hey, thanks for the comments. The story is pretty much a direct reality I faced at a random show I played. Glad to see people enjoy....and understand it.

a while ago somebody posted a pretty funny story about how so few fans recognized him as as a band member he felt like some gay guy hanging around with the band after shows.

There's a positive side to all this, too.

You won't be recognized at gigs you do just for the money.

Hahahaha that article is so full of truth.

As the sadness sweeps through your body like the prostate exam of your ego you lumber your ass back to your drums to start the tare down for the next band. This is when you realize that some bastard stole one of your cymbals

Hahahahaha this made my day!! :D

Nice thread, man! Cheers. :)

the best is when your band stands infront of the drum set, so you're also never seen in the pictures of the band. I also sometimes find it hard to create drum parts that make me feel like I'm drumming to my fullest potential. This contributes to the recognition issue, because whenever I don't get any recognition after a show I always feel like I'm somewhat responsible for that by not writing interesting drum parts. Whereas whether or not a guitarist writes something cool or not, they can make up for it by having the stage to run around on. nice thread!

my band helps me set up. they bring the drums in from the car while i arrange the set.

all bands should do that imo, unless they want their drummers completely out of energy by the time the show starts.

Thing I hate most is that the rest of the band is allowed to witness a lot of bootie shaking whilst the only bootie shaking I'm allowed to witness is that of the (male) singer.

Anyone experience having to carry a drum through a fairly large crowd? Then having everyone say,"Look a drum!" and smacking the hell out of it as you walk.

Just the lugging around is the only major drawback!

Love the comment above! "Look it's a drum" "Look its a smartass!"

Sam

would say the cost of a great drum kit, and the cost of a great guitar rig would be about the same. For drums you need the shells, lets say around a grand to round things off. Then hardware, 500, and cymbals, atleast another 500, which makes no less than 2 grand. For a guitar player, lets say you want a Gibson Sg, which would be around 1300, then you have your amp. A Marshall stack is most certainly no less than a grand, and if you want something a bit small, say a VoX or Fender amp, you might be looking at 800 or 900 bucks there. As for hauling the gear itself, drummers got the most for sure! Thankfully i have a hardware bag and cymbal bag, which organizes things way better, and you can put smaller loose stuff in them too, like sticks. But i think i agree that the drummer has it harder than other members in the band, preasure is usually higher for a drummer too.

Back