I hate that Song!!

Old Dog new Cans

Is there a song, that you just can't seem to grasp? I haven't even tried playing it since my childhood, but I listen Satch Boogie and just snarl at the opening measures of that song!!! I watched a vid this morning, the guy playing is really good. His name is Israel Lira. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-fs6jKccRo

Maybe seeing it written out, I could at least get some visual cues. If you know the song, you know it's not exactly easy at the beginning. Offbeat weird syncopation within the 4/4 time and I canNOT get it!

Do you have, THAT song?

And, has anyone heard of Mr. Lira before??

Is there a song, that you just can't seem to grasp?

I don't think that there's a single song out there that I couldn't grasp that I actually wanted to play. Overly-complicated/Syncopated stuff does not appeal to me at all. With that said, I've had to learn some more-complicated stuff for different bands.

The absolute best way to learn it is through rote memorization and breaking it into parts, like one-measure segments. Heck, when I was learning the Purdie shuffle, I learned it basically one note at a time. I'm still not good at it, but I can play it...sort of. :)

Last edited:
Is there a song, that you just can't seem to grasp?

Do you have, THAT song?

My random bogey track was Black Night - Purple. That first drum break always used to throw me. Saw a friend play it and haven't had any problems since.

Done proggy odd time signature crap for fun but that one drum break!

I also struggle with modern pop songs that people request for first dances because they're so forgettable. My inner quality control goes 'nope, this is shite' and nothing goes in. On the plus side when it does stick I know it for life sadly.

Foo Fighters - My Hero

When I first heard the song around 1999-2000, I couldn't wrap my head around how the drums were recorded on the intro. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't come close to replicating those sounds on my own kit. Very frustrating at the time.

I still can't play Led Zep Rock and Roll properly...the guys in my band are happy enough with how I play it, and it's "okay" enough to play out. I just know how far off I am, and it bugs me.

I still can't play Led Zep Rock and Roll properly...the guys in my band are happy enough with how I play it, and it's "okay" enough to play out. I just know how far off I am, and it bugs me.

Funny you should bring that song up. I think my band wants to rehearse and play that song. Please feel free to reply with any tips!

A New Level - Pantera. For whatever reason the riff that starts at .30 just confounds my limbs. It pisses me off because metal wise, I can play pretty much anything I want at this point as long as my speed and endurance aren't compromised. This song does neither.

https://youtu.be/KJ0bG_7L3Sw

Funny you should bring that song up. I think my band wants to rehearse and play that song. Please feel free to reply with any tips!

As I said, I can't play it the "right way"...but so long as you get the triplet rhythm close enough on the intro and the breaks, you'll probably be ok. People love that song, it is fun. (And if you wanna get especially crazy, after the ending drum lick, while holding out the final notes, our guitar player takes off into the solo for Stairway...heh. Another one of those songs you aren't supposed to play. We are particularly shameless.)

Funny and interesting posts everyone. Rock and Roll isn't easy at all.

I'll add, anything on Moving Pictures. Dang it Neil!~!

When I was a youngster, I could nail Sawyer. I've not listened to enough lately. I tried playing it last week? What a joke

I've watched a bunch of videos on how to play the intro and it still escapes me.

But this was the most helpful for me. Still can't quite get it, but I feel like I'm closer, at least. Hearing where the accents really land, rather than where they sound like they're landing, is still jarring to me.

Originally Posted by BruceW

The first note is not 1. The fourth note is 1. The song starts out "and four and" (just like the first 4 notes of Jonny b goode).
The accent on the first note tricks your brain into feeling it as the start of the bar. Just focus on the accent on the 4th note as 1 and play the 4/4 groove from that point on.
Once you wrap your head around the actual count, that intro sounds amazing.

Last edited:
I've watched a bunch of videos on how to play the intro and it still escapes me.

But this was the most helpful for me. Still can't quite get it, but I feel like I'm closer, at least. Hearing where the accents really land, rather than where they sound like they're landing, is still jarring to me.

To all who are struggling with the Rock and Roll intro, I HIGHLY recommend you stop what you're doing right now and watch this (from 9:24 - only about a minute to the end). It helped me SO much with understanding why that intro sounds the way it does. The whole vid is great but that last minute in particular is pure gold for this topic! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIju9_tu2zk

It's snare and hats in unison. Try counting it like this:
1 2 3 1 2 3 4 5/1 2 3 1 2 3 4 5/1 2 3 1 2 3 4 5/1 2 1 2 1 1 1 1
Put the accents on the 1.

It's snare and hats in unison. Try counting it like this:
1 2 3 1 2 3 4 5/1 2 3 1 2 3 4 5/1 2 3 1 2 3 4 5/1 2 1 2 1 1 1 1
Put the accents on the 1.

Close, but you're missing 3 notes. This might happen if you play the first note as "1" instead of playing the first 3 notes as "and 4 and'

and 4 and
1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and
1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and
1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and
1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and

Last edited:
If you want it enough you find a way.

If you need help there's all sort of slowing down software available.

If it's still no happening, which is rare if you truly want it, there's a hole in general knowledge that probably should be filled first.

If you want it enough you find a way.

If you need help there's all sort of slowing down software available.

If it's still no happening, which is rare if you truly want it, there's a hole in general knowledge that probably should be filled first.

That is completely fair.

Some of us have limited practice time and practice space. So, yes...if I REALLY wanted it, I could change a host of other things in my life to accommodate learning this song. Or...

I can do the best I can, when I can. I can communicate with others, sharing a similar challenge. And make the best of it. ;)

Close, but you're missing 3 notes. This might happen if you play the first note as "1" instead of playing the first 3 notes as "and 4 and'

and 4 and
1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and
1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and
1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and
1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and

Yep, well written!

I knew that intro from a while ago, but never played Rock & Roll until last year's tour, where a new cover song was played at every show! We learned 77 songs - each performed only once - and that was one of them. (FYI, it was the first show in Portland, OR)

Other fun drum intro songs on the list were Take The Money And Run, We're An American Band, Hard To Handle, It's The End Of The World... Wipeout, and of course Honky Tonk Woman. Some of the more fun songs were Squeeze Box (Keith was probably spinning in his grave) and Hello There (Bun E. spinning in his hut!)*

Bermuda

* Fun fact: I called Bun to sit in on that one in Chicago not far from his home, but he wasn't available that night. :(

and 4 and
1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and
1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and
1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and
1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and

I figured it wasn't exact. I was trying to remember off the top of my head. I haven't played that song in ages.

Originally Posted by bud7h4 View Post
"Close, but you're missing 3 notes. This might happen if you play the first note as "1" instead of playing the first 3 notes as "and 4 and'

and 4 and
1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and
1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and
1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and
1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and"

Yes that's it...! I play it that way but also play a simplified version in one band as they can't take the time to figure out where the 'one' is! sheesh

The main groove can be played in unison sticking (especially on the drum breaks with the splashy hats) but I usually play the main riff using a 'straightened out' version of 'the killer shuffle' which sounds the same but is a lot less work.. I love the way the 'clobbering cymbal crashes' come out of nowhere... John BonHam rocks!

Last edited:
Back