DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:30 PM

Default DW problem

Hi guys.

I bought a pre-owned DW collectors kit from a well known distributor in the summer.

I decided to add an 8” tom so contacted the same distributor to order it to be made by DW. I had to supply the serial numbers for the tom to be made.

A few months passed and the tom finally arrived but I noticed that the label inside the tom said ‘Collector’s maple standard’ whereas the rest of my toms are ‘Collector’s maple VLT’ (vertical low timbre) so it wasn’t the same construction as the other toms.

I contacted them explaining the situation and got a reply saying:
“the original kit is standard build and they also said that they wouldn't make an 8" tom in VLT only X Shell.”

I knew this was lies because I have seen 8” x 7” toms in VLT before.

Here is an example:

https://reverb.com/item/11246177-dw-...ion-racket-bag

I contacted them again to show them the above link and they replied requesting proof that the kit is VLT, which I did.

They responded:

The reason the 8” is an X shell (which lowers the tone) and the next bigger toms are VLT, is because, the tonal interval between an 8” and 10” tom are greater than between the 10”, 12”, and 13”. Therefore, John Good Chose to lower the pitch slightly on the 8” tom (X shell) to create more even tonal intervals between all the toms….
Here is a video explaining it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVbLqfGgF6c

It starts on the exact 8” X shell explanation at around 30 seconds to 1 minute in.

Now, the eagle eyed among you may have noticed that in all their correspondence they have said that an X shell is the correct construction for my kit.

The tom I received isn’t an X shell or VLT, it’s a Collector’s maple standard, which is a different construction altogether from either of those.

DW don’t even seem to know what tom they made for me let alone what is the correct construction for my kit.

What should I do?

It might sound like I’m being picky but I have spent the equivalent of almost $1000 on a tom that doesn’t match my kit.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:39 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: DW problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcon45 View Post
Hi guys.

I bought a pre-owned DW collectors kit from a well known distributor in the summer.

I decided to add an 8” tom so contacted the same distributor to order it to be made by DW. I had to supply the serial numbers for the tom to be made.

A few months passed and the tom finally arrived but I noticed that the label inside the tom said ‘Collector’s maple standard’ whereas the rest of my toms are ‘Collector’s maple VLT’ (vertical low timbre) so it wasn’t the same construction as the other toms.

I contacted them explaining the situation and got a reply saying:
“the original kit is standard build and they also said that they wouldn't make an 8" tom in VLT only X Shell.”

I knew this was lies because I have seen 8” x 7” toms in VLT before.

Here is an example:

https://reverb.com/item/11246177-dw-...ion-racket-bag

I contacted them again to show them the above link and they replied requesting proof that the kit is VLT, which I did.

They responded:

The reason the 8” is an X shell (which lowers the tone) and the next bigger toms are VLT, is because, the tonal interval between an 8” and 10” tom are greater than between the 10”, 12”, and 13”. Therefore, John Good Chose to lower the pitch slightly on the 8” tom (X shell) to create more even tonal intervals between all the toms….
Here is a video explaining it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVbLqfGgF6c

It starts on the exact 8” X shell explanation at around 30 seconds to 1 minute in.

Now, the eagle eyed among you may have noticed that in all their correspondence they have said that an X shell is the correct construction for my kit.

The tom I received isn’t an X shell or VLT, it’s a Collector’s maple standard, which is a different construction altogether from either of those.

DW don’t even seem to know what tom they made for me let alone what is the correct construction for my kit.

What should I do?

It might sound like I’m being picky but I have spent the equivalent of almost $1000 on a tom that doesn’t match my kit.

Ugh... I hate this kind of stuff. A company screws up, and when you call them on it, they say "oh, yeah, we meant to do that". If you mess up, just admit it and fix the issue. How cheap can they be that they won't replace an 8" shell (I'm assuming all the lugs and such are correct)? Yeah, it's a $1,000 tom to the customer. But their cost for that shell can't be THAT crazy.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:52 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

The folks at DW take the relationships with their customers pretty seriously. I'd take it up with John Good directly, or Chris Lombardi, and pursue it further.

If you don't get satisfaction from them, you can publicize the problem in the DW Facebook group. I guarantee that someone from DW participates or at least watches the conversations, and they don't like bad publicity. (Who does?)

Bermuda
Old 12-12-2018, 09:54 PM
gcon45
This message has been deleted by gcon45.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:58 PM
Administrator - Mayor

The only question I have, and will admit to not knowing DW's construction theory, is, how does the drum sound. I can't believe one 8 inch tom costs $1000.00
Old 12-12-2018, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

Just like GD above, how does the tom sound? Also, does the finish match?

Even if it meets both of these requirements, they messed up.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:09 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Is there anyone on here who knows DW’s shell constructions inside out and if so, does it sound like they are simply lying to cover their mistake?

PS - yes the finish and hardware matches. The tom hasn’t been played and won’t be until this is resolved.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

Is there anyone on here who knows DW’s shell constructions inside out and if so, does it sound like they are simply lying to cover their mistake?
It definitely sounds like they're lying. You ordered a VLT shell. They sent you a Standard shell. Then said that it should be an X shell. No matter what, they screwed up.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:35 PM
Platinum Member

Here's this. Does your new tom have re-rings?

Sorry for the blurry pic.
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2018, 10:51 PM

Yes the tom has re-rings.

The only visible difference between it and the other rack toms is grain direction.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:08 AM

It would appear that they are indeed 3 unique constructions with the standard construction being 7 ply.
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2018, 09:14 AM

I owned a collectors series for over ten years.
I completely understand your position in having spent a ton of money....
I guess it all comes down to how much hassle you are willing to go through.
No-one except you (and now us) is ever going to notice that the construction of your 8 is different to the rest of your kit, as long as it sounds good/right alongside your other drums.With all the other factors affecting sound (head choice, edges,hardware mass etc etc ) wood variations are only discernible to the purists - grain orientations are even further down the list towards the miniscule.
Not condoning DW's response - it does sound like they got it wrong, and you have every right to get exactly what you paid for.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:32 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEF View Post
I owned a collectors series for over ten years.
I completely understand your position in having spent a ton of money....
I guess it all comes down to how much hassle you are willing to go through.
No-one except you (and now us) is ever going to notice that the construction of your 8 is different to the rest of your kit, as long as it sounds good/right alongside your other drums.With all the other factors affecting sound (head choice, edges,hardware mass etc etc ) wood variations are only discernible to the purists - grain orientations are even further down the list towards the miniscule.
Not condoning DW's response - it does sound like they got it wrong, and you have every right to get exactly what you paid for.

Not that OP is necessarily ever going to sell it, but if all the drums are VLT, I feel like any potential future buyer would be at least a little less jazzed to have the one odd drum in the mix. Especially dropping that kind of cash.

But it's all irrelevant. All that matters is that your ordered A, but got B. I don't accept that when it's a $2 cheeseburger. I certainly wouldn't accept that with a $1000 drum. What should've happened is, when DW got the order for an 8" VLT tom, they call OP and explain the whole VLT/X shell situation - "I know you ordered A, but here's what we normally do, and here's why".... You don't just grab any old random (and WRONG) shell off the shelf, send it out, and say "tough titties".

Thumbs down, DW.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:14 PM

I have experience in dealing w/ DW directly in the past, both as a dealer and as a consumer (post-dealer days).

As Bermuda pointed out, DW addresses issues VERY well. If the DW contact you have is not getting resolution for you, then send a direct message to DW through Facebook. You don't need to put them on blast, just find a way to go around the person you're dealing with.

You can also call them and explain that the person you're interacting with may not seem to understand the issue and you'd like to interact w/ someone else or may have more experience.

Again, they are a solid company for customer service. No one is perfect and if there's an issue, I'm confident they will make it right.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:57 AM

For $1,000.00, that tom needs to be right.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:02 PM
Gold Member

In the 1980s I managed a bicycle shop in San Diego. We sold every kind of bike: BMX, cruisers, mountain bikes, tandems, 10-speed “college” bikes, etc. and $3,500 custom built bikes.

A custom built bicycle means the bike frame has been constructed according to the rider’s body. The frame height, top-tube length, bottom bracket drop, etc. All these specs are set according to the rider’s body size, leg length, torso length, shoulder width, etc.

Most frame builders had specific body measurements they needed in order to build a custom frame. Some required more measurements than others, and we did whatever necessary to get the correct info to the builder.

The catch was that most of our customers preferred the Italian builders such as Colnago, De Rosa, and Gios Torino. And we communicated via international mail and via the importer (typically some desk jockey in Los Angeles or Newark).

It typically took 3–4 months to get a frame once the order had been “received and accepted”.

If a measurement was wrong, it was a bad day in the shop.

I got a measurement wrong. And the customer was a beautiful young—single—woman who had money (that’s right boys, she was a unicorn). She was ranked and rode in the Category 1-2 USCF races. She knew her stuff; she wasn’t a rich valley girl. She trained every day, rain or shine.

And I ruined her summer training because of 1 centimeter. (I’m still not comfortable running a measuring tape from a woman’s crotch to her foot arch. Properly placing the end of the measuring tape in the crotch area can be awkward).

Ultimately, my mistake meant I re-ordered the custom frame—with the correct measurements—and paid for it out of the shop’s funds. It also meant that she wasn’t 100% satisfied after all was said & done.

My point is: even if DW makes right and get you exactly what you want, the seed of doubt has been planted. The experience of using DW has been diminished.

I hope you get the drum you’ve wanted all along, and the sound of your kit is worth this hassle.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:52 PM

DW does not make Collectors maple kits with the same ply configuration across the entire kit (unless you order it). They call it SSC and it mixes the four different shell configurations into one kit in order to get the most optimum separation between the drums notes. A Collectors Standard may be what that kit calls for in the 8" drum. Did you specifically order a VLT? You said you gave them the serial number and they sent you a Standard shell. Are you disappointed because you expected it to be VLT. Put the drum on the kit and play it before you jump to conclusions. It might be the right drum. Having a Standard shell in an SSC kit is normal and does not affect the value.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeToPlay View Post
DW does not make Collectors maple kits with the same ply configuration across the entire kit (unless you order it). They call it SSC and it mixes the four different shell configurations into one kit in order to get the most optimum separation between the drums notes. A Collectors Standard may be what that kit calls for in the 8" drum. Did you specifically order a VLT? You said you gave them the serial number and they sent you a Standard shell. Are you disappointed because you expected it to be VLT. Put the drum on the kit and play it before you jump to conclusions. It might be the right drum. Having a Standard shell in an SSC kit is normal and does not affect the value.
OP said that when he spoke to DW, they said that the 8" should be an "X" shell (not a standard one). So either way, they screwed up.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:49 PM

I have some experience in shop work and production, though not drums. That said, it doesn't have to be drums or percussion to have a pretty good understanding of shop mentality and processes.
To be honest, this incident sounds like someone received the order, took it to a higher up asking about availability, and was directed to use a shell that happened to be already made instead of doing the right thing, busting out some new material, and building the correct shell.
I can't imagine that at 1,000 bucks a pop for such a small tom, that DW couldn't afford to make the correct shell for you, but business can be strange like that sometimes.
I won't lie; I would be infuriated about this. I know from experience how long it takes to get a custom component drum and when it arrives, it damned well better be right.

Please remember; this is all speculation on my part and you could be looking at an honest mistake on the part of the manufacturer. Errors occur in non-automated shops/production more often than you would like to know, believe me.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:36 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

It seems that you didn't specify which shell construction you wanted when you ordered the drum. You simply ordered an "8 tom" and they made a standard 8 tom. (as they do when not specified)
Using the serials doesn't tell them what construction your kit was, only a base timeline in which they would have been made.

I regards to what DW said about the VLT, X, Etc...is correct.
For instance my kits are
8, 16 X
10,12,14 VLT
KICKS AND 18 VLX,
This ensure's I can get the lowest possible note from each drum and still be relative to each drum in intervals.

They will not normally make anything other than an X tom (within their own configurations) Unless ordered by a customer.
And even then John will talk most out of it. Haha.
When not specified, they make standards.

The standard drum you have is fine and unless you tune really low like me, you'll never hear a difference.

Cheers
D

Last edited by Derek Roddy; 12-16-2018 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:32 PM

I am in a somewhat similar situation, but have had a different experience.

I have a DW Collector's Kit [2016] with all Standard Maple Shells. 10 & 12 Racks, 14 and 16 Floors, & a 20 Kick. Long story short, I decided to purchase an 8" Tom to go with this kit. I put the order in around a month ago.

At first, I wanted to order my 8" Tom exactly like the rest of the kit. I didn't want VLT, X or VLX. I didn't want Cherry or Oak or Purpleheart. I wanted Standard Maple Shells with Horizontal Grain, just like the rest of my kit, so that it matches. Now I am aware of DW's other shell types, and at some-point I plan on getting a second kit different from the Standard Maple Shells.

When I first put in the order for the 8" Tom, I told my music store that I know DW may recommend an X Shell for the 8" Tom and that I would wait to see what they suggest with my request. I wanted my 8" Tom to really pop & be extremely bright. I wanted it to be heard so I wanted to get the brightest sound possible which is why I did not request any other shell types. I did briefly inquire about having Birch used instead of Maple to achieve some really bright tones.

When my music store got back to me, after DW looked up my kit to find what would work best, they reported that DW would not recommend Birch for this Tom with this drum kit, which was fine. DW was recommending me to stick with Maple. Not only was DW recommending me stick with Maple, but they suggested that the 8" Tom be in VLT Maple construction, and not Standard Maple Shells.

The difference with my experience, is even with that recommendation by DW, my music store told me that DW would be willing to build me whatever I wanted them to & that if I really wanted the Standard Maple Shell with Horizontal Grain or Birch, they would build me that no problem.

My music store told me that DW had an 8" VLT on-site and everyone at DW all loved the sound it gave. From my understanding, the staff at DW talked about what I was looking for and they still recommended Maple VLT for my 8" Tom.

So I don't think you're getting the whole story with your 8" Tom. It sounds like someone messed up or they didn't clarify what you really wanted or how it would fit in with the rest of your kit. I know DW has a video on their SSC Configuration that they recommend an X Shell for the 8" Tom, but then the video states that they can build whatever you want, ie: all VLT, all Standard, a mixture, etc.

I guess you could always sell the drum and then place the correct order that matches your set. It's another order that you have to wait on, but I would guess you would be happier in the long run if you don't like the sound it gives you.
8x10
8x12
12x14
14x16
18x20

DW Edge Snare
Tiger Oyster
6x13

Last edited by druski_2k5; 12-17-2018 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Clarified the post further.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roddy View Post
It seems that you didn't specify which shell construction you wanted when you ordered the drum. You simply ordered an "8 tom" and they made a standard 8 tom. (as they do when not specified)
Using the serials doesn't tell them what construction your kit was, only a base timeline in which they would have been made.

I regards to what DW said about the VLT, X, Etc...is correct.
For instance my kits are
8, 16 X
10,12,14 VLT
KICKS AND 18 VLX,
This ensure's I can get the lowest possible note from each drum and still be relative to each drum in intervals.

They will not normally make anything other than an X tom (within their own configurations) Unless ordered by a customer.
And even then John will talk most out of it. Haha.
When not specified, they make standards.

The standard drum you have is fine and unless you tune really low like me, you'll never hear a difference.

Cheers
D
I checked with the vendor when ordering to make sure the tom would match the construction of my other rack toms and he said yes, they will know all this from my serial numbers.

You say that the serial numbers only give them an idea of when the kit was made and nothing about shell construction so why then are they implying that an X shell is definitely the correct one due to tonal interval differential between constructions of my existing toms (even though they don’t even seem to realise they made me a maple standard)?

If the vendor didn’t specify the shell construction when ordering and just assumed that DW would match it to the other toms via the info that DW derived from the serial numbers then some of the blame lies at their door.

Why did DW not contact them to have a conversation about shell constructions before starting work on the tom though and more than that, why do DW think they sent me an X shell when it was a standard?

Sounds to me that they lifted the first shell they could find, wrapped it and sent it off.

I have put new heads on the tom this weekend (Evans clear G2 over clear G1) and have tried every tuning combination to try and match it with my kit.
My other rack toms with the same heads are tuned just above wrinkle on the batter and have a moderately tuned resonant head and sound great.

The 8” sounds terrible when tuned like this. In fact its sweet spot seems to be around 80/80 on the drum dial but this makes it sound like I have 1 roto tom and 2 rack toms.

I am disillusioned with DW over this whole debacle and wish I had stuck with Sonor.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:44 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
I checked with the vendor when ordering to make sure the tom would match the construction of my other rack toms and he said yes, they will know all this from my serial numbers.
They would only be able to find that through an "order number" which was most likely lost since the kit was a used purchase

Quote:
so why then are they implying that an X shell is definitely the correct one due to tonal interval differential between constructions of my existing toms (even though they don’t even seem to realise they made me a maple standard)?
Because an 8 X is what they suggest for most ALL of their kits. It's on most every one of their videos talking about it.
It's what's on my kit and almost every DW artist and non professional drummer I know whose gotten a kit from them in the last decade.

Quote:
If the vendor didn’t specify the shell construction when ordering and just assumed that DW would match it to the other toms via the info that DW derived from the serial numbers then some of the blame lies at their door.
It mostly lies on the vender, DW are not mind readers and when they get an order, they make the order. They did not know to make you a VLX, VLT, X, etc because the vender only specified an 8 and nothing else.

Quote:
Why did DW not contact them to have a conversation about shell constructions before starting work on the tom though and more than that, why do DW think they sent me an X shell when it was a standard?
Why would they contact the vender when they have the order in front of them?.....nothing questionable about the order other than the fact that the shell construction you wanted wasn't indicated (which means they make a standard) and also most likely because the person you are corresponding with isn't the person who built your drum, so they wouldn't know the details about your order. It's not up to them to predict if you want either of the shell constructions other than standard if it's not indicated. And nobody is at fault for that other than not being aware that's how it works. Although, I'm pretty surprised the vender didn't know this.

Regardless,
I'm sure that DW will make the drum for you in the configuration you want.

They're EASILY one of the best companies to deal with on a "dealer level".

D
Old 12-17-2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
They would only be able to find that through an "order number" which was most likely lost since the kit was a used purchase
They requested photos of the serial number and the order number, which was not “lost” as its printed in big bold digits on the labels inside every collector’s series drum made after a certain date.

It’s quite bizarre that they specifically requested all this photographic evidence then proceeded to make a standard tom without any consultation.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:21 AM

Quote:
They requested photos of the serial number and the order number, which was not “lost” as its printed in big bold digits on the labels inside every collector’s series drum made after a certain date.

It’s quite bizarre that they specifically requested all this photographic evidence then proceeded to make a standard tom without any consultation.
What finish is your kit? I know you already have the drum, but on certain finishes, DW may require a photo or sending one of the toms in to match the finish.

My DW is in Finish Ply [Twisted Blue Oyster] so I didn't have to send them a picture of my tom or send a tom in to clarify the finish. They'll just wrap my 8" in Finish Ply after it's made.

I believe DW takes photos of every drum/set they make before they ship it off to the a store. I know they keep track of every order there as well, hence the order number you had to provide them for reference so they should have known that information when they were looking to add one, or I would think. That is what they requested of my order anyway.

If they had all of this information correct, they should have been able to look up your set and found what would have matched up better give its construction.

So it sounds like either DW messed up or the store you purchased it through messed up the order.

Quote:

I have put new heads on the tom this weekend (Evans clear G2 over clear G1) and have tried every tuning combination to try and match it with my kit.
My other rack toms with the same heads are tuned just above wrinkle on the batter and have a moderately tuned resonant head and sound great.

The 8” sounds terrible when tuned like this. In fact its sweet spot seems to be around 80/80 on the drum dial but this makes it sound like I have 1 roto tom and 2 rack toms.
That is frustrating to hear!!! This is probably why they recommended a VLT for my 8" because the Standard Maple shell might be too high pitched for the rest of the kit, even though mine is Collector's Standard. So it also appears that your 8" is too high pitched for the rest of your kit since you have VLT rack toms.

If anything, they should have recommended a VLT or X Shell for the 8" given the configuration of your kit.

I would contact the store you purchased it from and see if they can contact DW and see if there is something you can work out to get it resolved.
8x10
8x12
12x14
14x16
18x20

DW Edge Snare
Tiger Oyster
6x13

Last edited by druski_2k5; 12-18-2018 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-17-2018, 02:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Wow, this is really sloppy documentation IMO...especially on such a high-end instrument.

A serial number in a Taylor guitar tells where it was made, the year, the month, the day, and the guitar's position in that particular day's production sequence. If you call them and give them your serial number, they will tell you what the guitar is made of in regards to tonewoods, etc., even on Built to Order (BTO) guitars.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:29 PM

I haven't posted in ages but to let you know, I had similar problem(s). First off my kit is a standard construction set. The sizes are 8,10,12,14 with an added 16. My first problem starts with the stamped shell note of the 8". It is an A and my 10 is a C followed by G & D so right there the 8 is too high. Years later I ordered a 16" floor tom and where I ordered it made the same mistake of not telling DW that it was a standard shell, he just asked me for the note of the last drum. Therefore the new 16" should have been an A but, DW sends me not only a B# shell which isn't that off the mark but to make it worse it was in VLT construction. I can make these drums work but it takes some needless finessing. The standard shells are probably a rarity for DW now.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmancuso View Post
I haven't posted in ages but to let you know, I had similar problem(s). First off my kit is a standard construction set. The sizes are 8,10,12,14 with an added 16. My first problem starts with the stamped shell note of the 8". It is an A and my 10 is a C followed by G & D so right there the 8 is too high. Years later I ordered a 16" floor tom and where I ordered it made the same mistake of not telling DW that it was a standard shell, he just asked me for the note of the last drum. Therefore the new 16" should have been an A but, DW sends me not only a B# shell which isn't that off the mark but to make it worse it was in VLT construction. I can make these drums work but it takes some needless finessing. The standard shells are probably a rarity for DW now.
I am a self-admitted DW fan boy. I have been since the 80s. I have 2 Collectors kits. But I will tell you that timbre matching is a bunch of hooey once you add a finish (wrap, lacquer, stain, whatever), hardware, heads, and your preferred tuning to the shell. I honestly couldn't tell you what note values are stamped on the inside of my shells. I also couldn't tell you what intervals I tune my drums as I tune them to sound good together to me.

I think the concept of timbre matching is interesting and it makes fundamental sense, but this is a pre-build status. Just like a 1/4 pound hamburger is only a 1/4 in its precooked weight. Once you cook it, and toppings, condiments, and a bun, it's no longer a 1/4 pounder. It started that way, but it's not anymore. Just like a 12" tom marked w/ a note of C is no longer a 12" C-tom when it's built.

I feel for the OP in his challenges. As I've mentioned, I've worked w/ DW as a dealer and consumer. As a dealer I worked w/ DW on customers behalf to resolve issues. As a consumer, I've interacted w/ DW directly on a minor issue and it was resolved. It all comes down to complete communication. It appears the dealer in question may have not understood or properly attained all the information needed upfront.

DW is very proactive on their Facebook page and if the OP isn't getting resolution through his dealer, I would suggest contacting DW directly through FB.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmancuso View Post
I made the mistake of telling my music store the Serial Number on the outside of my shells, when in-fact, they wanted the Order Number that was inside the drum to be able to research my kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Bro View Post

DW is very proactive on their Facebook page and if the OP isn't getting resolution through his dealer, I would suggest contacting DW directly through FB.
Agreed with this.

I had a minor issue when one of lugs broke and I contacted my music store for a replacement. They contacted DW about the lug and DW shipped a new lug to my music store and I didn't have to pay anything. I just had to go pick it up.

Granted that is a minor issue than an actual drum, but they were pro-active and wanted to make things right for me.

When I was waiting for my Edge Snare this past summer, it was beyond the estimated time wait, so I contacted my music store for an update and DW reported to them that they were having some machine problems but would be up and running ASAP. Not only did they provide that update, DW went a step further and took a picture of my snare after it was all constructed to let me know the progress of my snare & that it would be out for delivery soon.

I appreciated the updates, even though DW didn't have to go that far, and my snare eventually came in. It's little things like that that keep me a customer and a fan of them.
8x10
8x12
12x14
14x16
18x20

DW Edge Snare
Tiger Oyster
6x13
Old 12-20-2018, 11:11 PM
Pioneer Member

I agree that if you ordered a VLT tom you should have gotten one, I am a DW guy. Two kits and a dozen snares.

If you are tuning just above wrinkle the 8 isn't going to fit in very well. They have a sweet spot and it's a fairly narrow range. On the drum dial between 70 and 75 top and bottom. you may need to adjust the tuning of your other toms in about the same range to get the right intervals.

Just above wrinkle may sound good from the throne, but it will sound muddy out front. FWIW.

I spent three hours messing with a Yamaha 8 inch tom yesterday, using the same heads you use, and got it sounding good but it took some work.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member

It's been a few weeks.

Any updates???
Old 01-26-2019, 07:29 AM

I just got my 8" VLT Collector's Tom yesterday.

So far I like it & have missed this voice for a few years.

I have been experimenting with different tunings, different heads, different mics and placement around my kit.

I probably won't always play my full set-up at shows and what not, bring what I need more than anything, but recording wise, I got all of my bases covered now.
Attached Images

8x10
8x12
12x14
14x16
18x20

DW Edge Snare
Tiger Oyster
6x13
Old 01-26-2019, 08:30 AM

That finish is beautiful.