Anyone ever share a kick drum between two drummers?

deltdrum

Starting a dual drummer project. I'm not a fan of the aesthetic of having two separate drum kits onstage, so I plan on having both drummers facing each other and sharing a bass drum.

Anyone ever done this? Any tips with it?

What will the sound be when you both hit the drum at the same time? I can see no air, therefore sound, being moved, but I'm not a sonic engineer. The batter moves the air that moves the reso, but your partner is hitting the reason can cancelling that out. I can see you both sitting side ways with the bass drums next to each other but not sharing.

Have you ever played a double stop on a marching bass drum?

Basically that.

The air from one head will heat another, which will cause it to vibrate, generating really really obnoxious rebound and throwing off your groove.

Sharing a bass drum is just too intimate....like maybe sharing a cigarette.
No really, I can't see it work. If either of you hits the batter on the same beat. There will be wave of interference - how will your wave resonate if offset by his?
Let us know how it works out.

You'll need a righty and lefty for that.

And a pedal like this:

Off-Set%20Double%20Bass%20Drum%20Pedal.jpg

http://www.off-set.net/Off-Set/Double_Bass_Drum_Pedal.html

I agree with others, one bass drum would not be good.

But here's an idea for you. Assuming that both drummers are right handed, or both are left handed; put the two base drums right next to each other.
Use one rack tom and one floor tom on each kit. One hi hat and one snare for each kit.
BUT, have the cymbals set up so that the two drummers share the same cymbals. The cymbals would need to be positioned sort of low and flat.

If you carefully time your beater strike, you might just be able to bounce him straight off this drum throne...........just like kids on a trampoline.

If you carefully time your beater strike, you might just be able to bounce him straight off this drum throne...........just like kids on a trampoline.

Then you get to steal the other drummer's gear. It's yours now. You are the Superior Drummer.

I agree with others, one bass drum would not be good.

But here's an idea for you. Assuming that both drummers are right handed, or both are left handed; put the two base drums right next to each other.
Use one rack tom and one floor tom on each kit. One hi hat and one snare for each kit.
BUT, have the cymbals set up so that the two drummers share the same cymbals. The cymbals would need to be positioned sort of low and flat.

This seems like the much better option IMO. Any way you slice it, one drum is not going to work for two players. I made a little mockup of the kicks side-to-side setup in the Meinl tool, with that small tom on the top being the second throne. (the kicks shouldn't be end to end either as I think you'll get the same cancellation from the reso heads in that case.)

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-21%20at%201.01.29%20AM.png

Then you get to steal the other drummer's gear. It's yours now. You are the Superior Drummer.

This seems like the much better option IMO. Any way you slice it, one drum is not going to work for two players. I made a little mockup of the kicks side-to-side setup in the Meinl tool, with that small tom on the top being the second throne. (the kicks shouldn't be end to end either as I think you'll get the same cancellation from the reso heads in that case.)

This is the layout that we went with tonight, as it'd be the most feasible as far as live mic'ing goes. Still doesn't quite have the look I wanted, but we'll call it a good starting point.

We dicked around with sharing a kick though. It really wasn't a problem since we both play different. We even tried some unison stuff and you could definitely feel in the response, but it didn't ruin the jam at all. I'm wondering if this was because of the large hole on the top of the bass drum from the tom mount, or maybe because we had some muffling inside... Hard to say.

Thanks for the help though you guys! I'll get some footage of this eventually once we figure out how we're going to go about it.

I'm confused, are you using two set drummers? Or is one going to be Latin percussion, but using your BD?

I don't understand the two drummer thing... I played a gig opening for one of the Allman brothers' kids this summer and he had 2 drummers both playing the same exact thing on drum set. I couldn't figure out why they had two drummers as they were only playing one part. I'd understand contrapuntal parts, but they were just doubling. I asked the guys in the band later on at the craft services room, and they were both union guys so they didn't mind, but they also didn't see the value (other than they were both making some serious money).

You could possibly cut a large vent in the shell of the kick drum. I have no idea as to how this would actually sound.

impvents.jpg

I'm confused, are you using two set drummers? Or is one going to be Latin percussion, but using your BD?

I don't understand the two drummer thing... I played a gig opening for one of the Allman brothers' kids this summer and he had 2 drummers both playing the same exact thing on drum set. I couldn't figure out why they had two drummers as they were only playing one part. I'd understand contrapuntal parts, but they were just doubling. I asked the guys in the band later on at the craft services room, and they were both union guys so they didn't mind, but they also didn't see the value (other than they were both making some serious money).

2 drummers facing each other. I've got a really high pitched snare (flipped upside down so I can scratch the snares) as well as a super low fat/dry snare off to my right (floor tom position) and a high hat.

He's got a Medium high snare, floor tom with a sheet over it and some jangly stuff on it, and then two HUGE hi hats. In between us there's a ride and a sort of sizzly stack sounding thing.

We're not playing the same stuff at all. Our idea is to have a sort of polyrhythmic Afrobeat/hip hop sound on the drums. Eventually we're going to layer some more rock n' roll and soul over the top of it but we're just working out the kinks right now.

The basic understanding that we had when we birthed the idea was that we wouldn't be doing any unison playing unless a part specifically needed it.

We're not playing the same stuff at all. Our idea is to have a sort of polyrhythmic Afrobeat/hip hop sound on the drums. Eventually we're going to layer some more rock n' roll and soul over the top of it but we're just working out the kinks right now.

That sounds awesome!

Starting a dual drummer project. I'm not a fan of the aesthetic of having two separate drum kits onstage, so I plan on having both drummers facing each other and sharing a bass drum.

Anyone ever done this? Any tips with it?

What about the aesthetic of having two separate drummers onstage?

What about the aesthetic of having two separate drummers onstage?

It just always seemed quirky to me for some reason. Like one of the guys was a drummer and the other just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express the night before. I guess that how I have it in my head just makes it feel more like the band is still being driven by a single unit.

There's a move called the "Eiffel tower", wherein two drummers each hit one bass drum, one from the front, one from the back, and then both drummers lean in for a double high-five.

You guys should totes go for it.

This is what I had in mind also. Replace the right hand crash with another ride.

There's a move called the "Eiffel tower", wherein two drummers each hit one bass drum, one from the front, one from the back, and then both drummers lean in for a double high-five.

FireShot-Pro-Screen-Capture-510-this-aint-no-discos-media-s478_beta_photobucket_com_user_this-aint-no-disco_media_internet-high-five-place-hand-here-right-480x444_jpg_html.png

Oh that sounds interesting. I'm in class right now I'll make sure to look that up on google images while I'm at it.

Back