Who is the most over-rated drummer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

311Spider

This is a discussion I've been wanting to have with other drummers for a while. I'm not trying to start any battles here, these are just opinions - and actually, my goal here is to learn something. I want to know what I might be missing in my assessment of these drummers that leads me to form the opinion that they are over-rated. I at least admit I'm ignorant, but willing to learn.

So getting right to it, I believe the most over-rated drummer would be Neil Peart.

When I was growing up Neil Peart was regarded by all beginner drummers and non-drummers as a drumming god. So I fell in line with this thinking that there was no one better than Peart, that is until many years later when I discovered Weckl. And as I discovered more and more high level drummers I found my view of Peart's drumming quickly diminishing to the point where I felt he was no more than a pimple on Weckl's or Dennis Chambers' @ss. And I would inwardly laugh at anyone who continued to say Peart was the best drummer ever and think how clueless they were.

I've been giving Neil Peart a second look the past year or so, listening to his playing, and there's no question, he's a real good drummer - for the band Rush. I don't think they could have picked a better player for that band. But he's so one dimensional, and I don't know how you can call a one dimensional drummer the best drummer ever.

Dennis Chambers said at a drum clinic I went to once, that a really good drummer is one who can play any style of music at an expert level. That sounds reasonable and I agree with it. Neil Peart cannot play jazz, period. And I'd venture to say he can't play any other music well outside of Rush. I watched him play a standard jazz tune for the "Burning for Buddy" disk. It sounded like exactly what it was, real jazz musicians playing with Rush's drummer. Now I'm not sure if that was the intent for that disk, to get all the drummers to play in the same style as they normally play instead of a vanilla jazz style, or how Buddy Rich would play. But judging from that performance, Neil Peart is not the guy I'd hire for a jazz gig.

So if there are any big Neil Peart fans out there please straighten me out, and tell me where I've gone wrong please. And then tell me who you think is the most over-rated drummer.

I originally planned to throw out some honorable mentions, but I think I'll it end here as I've probably done enough damage.

you could have titled this thread Why I hate Neil Peart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back