Eric Clapton - a couple of questions

Magenta

Platinum Member
I saw an ad asking for a bassist and drummer for a blues rock band. Obviously I had to google "blues rock", and Wiki kindly provided a list of artists, including Eric Clapton. I realised immediately that I recognised the name. So now I have two questions:

1. He's quite good, isn't he?

2. Why did nobody tell me about him?

I've answered the ad :)

1. Yes, Eric Clapton is awesome. He played in Cream, you do know Cream don't you? He also had a very successful solo career. Layla, Tears in Heaven, Crossroads, I Shot the Sheriff, and Wonderful Tonight are all songs you have probably heard of his.

2. He is English, and you live in the UK. We shouldn't have had to tell you. :)

you do know Cream don't you? He also had a very successful solo career. Layla, Tears in Heaven, Crossroads, I Shot the Sheriff, and Wonderful Tonight are all songs you have probably heard of his.

I've heard of Cream. Whether I've heard them or not, I couldn't say. I had heard Layla, and now I've heard the other songs you mention.

2. He is English, and you live in the UK. We shouldn't have had to tell you. :)

My capacity to underwhelm with musical ignorance astonishes even me sometimes.

I've heard of Cream. Whether I've heard them or not, I couldn't say. I had heard Layla, and now I've heard the other songs you mention.

His body of work is huge. I would bet that you are familiar with more of his work than you know. Actually, learning some Clapton would be good for helping you with "playing the spaces" since lots of his music is very guitar oriented and requires a good strong foundation with not much else underneath.

My capacity to underwhelm with musical ignorance astonishes even me sometimes.

It happens to the best of us. Guess I just assumed (and I know better) that everyone in the UK knew of Eric Clapton. Kind of stupid of me really.

His body of work is huge. I would bet that you are familiar with more of his work than you know. Actually, learning some Clapton would be good for helping you with "playing the spaces" since lots of his music is very guitar oriented and requires a good strong foundation with not much else underneath.

That's what I thought when I was listening. Just had a quick convo with my teacher about it (and took him to task for not telling me about EC!) and he said exactly what you said.

I'm listening to Cream now. Thanks for the heads-up - they're pretty good too ;) Sheesh, where have I BEEN??

Good question. I can only assume that anyone who has not heard of Clapton has been trapped down a Welsh coal mine since birth. :)

Ah, but I had heard OF him, PFOG! Give me some credit ;)

I saw an ad asking for a bassist and drummer for a blues rock band. Obviously I had to google "blues rock", and Wiki kindly provided a list of artists, including Eric Clapton. I realised immediately that I recognised the name. So now I have two questions:

1. He's quite good, isn't he?

2. Why did nobody tell me about him?

I've answered the ad :)

Yes, he wasnt bad. His nickname was God.

Funny, I knew about Eric Clapton but all of this business about some outfit called Led Zeppelin is new and foreign to me. Didn't they do that song 'Black Magic Woman'? Anyway, I've heard 'em once or twice since someone mentioned them to me and the drummer is a bit underwhelming, no? I heard they had to get Bernard Purdie in a lot to cover for his hopelessness in the studio. You live and learn!

Funny, I knew about Eric Clapton but all of this business about some outfit called Led Zeppelin is new and foreign to me. Didn't they do that song 'Black Magic Woman'? Anyway, I've heard 'em once or twice since someone mentioned them to me and the drummer is a bit underwhelming, no? I heard they had to get Bernard Purdie in a lot to cover for his hopelessness in the studio. You live and learn!

Indeed! And Purdie always used Mapex Saturns in the studio, rather than those Luddies that the real Zep drummer loved. It's true!!!

:p

Quite good indeed =;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdXcPL6HXW0

It's a tube vid, but there isn't any acshil video. Just pictures, including a picture of the CD sleeve that you need to buy. It's an awesome live blues set with a fantastic stripped down sound.

If you like this, you'll prolly also like JJ Cale.

Is it just me, or is this a stark illustration of the UK-USA irony gap....

Mum? Is that you?

Hahaha!

Quite good indeed =;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdXcPL6HXW0

It's a tube vid, but there isn't any acshil video. Just pictures, including a picture of the CD sleeve that you need to buy. It's an awesome live blues set with a fantastic stripped down sound.

If you like this, you'll prolly also like JJ Cale.

Oh my actual word, that hit the spot.

Checking out JJ Cale now - think I could get to like him.

This whole thread just makes me want to say Wah Wah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcccCQU52KQ

Check out this live footage of Clapton and friends. Curious how many you might know Magenta? Several artists worth looking into here, all on one stage :)

Is it just me, or is this a stark illustration of the UK-USA irony gap....

It might be just you: my original post was genuine :/

I'm the drummer who has never listened to any music that has drums in.

While you're at it, there's this band called the Rolling Stones...they're OK, but can be a little underwhelming at times.

This whole thread just makes me want to say Wah Wah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcccCQU52KQ

Check out this live footage of Clapton and friends. Curious how many you might know Magenta? Several artists worth looking into here, all on one stage :)

Erm, none. Really and truly. Except for Eric, because I saw pictures of him this morning so I know what he looks like now.

While you're at it, there's this band called the Rolling Stones...they're OK, but can be a little underwhelming at times.

They're on my to-do list, I promise.

Erm, none. Really and truly. Except for Eric, because I saw pictures of him this morning so I know what he looks like now.

They're on my to-do list, I promise.

Well let's see, I'll help you out a little, two ex-beatles...Paul McCartney at the piano and Ringo Starr on drums (as a drummer you really should check him out), a third Beatle's son...Dhani Harrison (son of George Harrison whose tribute concert this was) Jeff Lynne of ELO, and Tom Petty to name a few :) Billy Preston, sometimes known as the 5th Beatle was also featured in this concert. It's worth bringing it up and watching the whole thing. Amazing musicians..even a little Ravi Shankar at the beginning.

These kind of threads always prove to humble me....I forget there are people out there who aren't that familiar with people like Clapton which for me is almost unfathomable.

I also realized that the link I gave you, the video was jumpy...you might want to try this one if it didn't play smoothly for you.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN3bWN7lyQU

If nothing else it's really fun to watch Ringo and the two other drummers all drumming in synch in the back row.

You also have a guy named Prince Charles in your country. I don't understand how a thing like this is even possible.

Back