Percussion/cajon teacher in L.A?

figure_02

Silver Member
Hi all!

How's it going? Been ages since I've been around here. Fun to check my old topics, haha.

First of all, if this should've been in the "drum technique" section, please move it!

Anyway, I am traveling around the world at the moment (studying tablas in India right now), and heading to L.A for 3-4 weeks (might be shorter or longer) in April/May. Except for tracking down Vinnies house (any tips?) and finding out if he's really dating Tal, I would like to take some lessons on percussion, maybe just cajon (going to Rio and Havana later, so have more authentic opportunities for other stuff then). So does anyone know any recommended teachers or cajon players? How should I approach this at all? Not usually a problem to find good teachers for drumset, but percussion is a different matter. I believe Alex Acuna is situated in L.A, and he's a great guy and wonderful on the cajon, but I don't think he takes students ...

Even though it's still some time to I'm going I would prefer to have arrangements sorted out already, so I can plan how long I will stay (so the normal "asking at a local music store" is my last option).

Any recommendations for venues and drum/percussion shops to check out while I'm there is also welcomed!

Cheers. Audun.

My room mate down there took me to Vinnie's house once- I think it was in... Burbank??? Probably a good idea to get some more detailed/current information before you hit the streets with that. But there's no reason not to seek out Alex Acuna or anybody else- most of them play in clubs at least occasionally, and also teach. I believe the Bon Appetit is closed, so I guess the place to meet them is the Baked Potato in North Hollywood. Try Joey Heredia. Also you can contact Chuck Silverman through the site- if he can't help you himself he can at least give you some names.

Back