Playing loose

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
How long did it take before you finally realized you were playing "loose" - as in not nervous restriction or tightness? Or playing rigid.

I played pretty rigid up until about late December, when of all things my wife noticed at a jam how loose I looked and how I got that "rigidness" out of my playing. I actually felt loose.

And when playing with new musicians for the first time or two, do you tighten up because it's with new people? Just curious.

I am always working on being loose. I think about it all the time. It consumes me. Night and Day.............. and i still need alot of work.... :(

I just watched Stanton Moore play, he is the loosest of the loose.

He showed a rolling exercise he learned where the stick actually barrel rolls in his grip.

I just got back from watching a Stevie Ray Vaughn tribute band called Voodoo Blue. The drummer was playing a simple 4 piece with hats, ride, and 1 crash. I was paying particular attention to his grip and how loose he was. Man, this guy was loose as a goose so to speak. I had to admire his calmness and wrist action. He played matched grip the entire time and not once appeared rigid. Very fluid motions and not much wasted energy.

Something def to aspire to.

Back