Headphone amp

jhwang16

Hello, I was wondering before I try this if it's safe to parallel my headphone amp to one of our stage monitors with a 1/4' cable. Then I would run my headphones through the amp. In theory this should definitely work, but is it safe? The monitors are powered by power amps if that changes anything.

Hello, I was wondering before I try this if it's safe to parallel my headphone amp to one of our stage monitors with a 1/4' cable. Then I would run my headphones through the amp. In theory this should definitely work, but is it safe? The monitors are powered by power amps if that changes anything.

The output at your stage monitors is too great for the input of the headphone amplifier. The only way this would work is to attenuate the level to the headphone amp, but still you would be at the mercy at what level the stage monitors are set, and this is continuously variable.

Remember to always match levels through the signal chain either with recording or sound reinforcement, if you don't, noise or distortion will occur. There are three basic level differences when talking about audio. The smallest signal in the chain is "microphone level", followed by "line Level" and again followed by "speaker Level". In your post, if I read it correctly, you want to run the speaker level into a line level input which would normally distort the input of the headphone amplifier.

Dennis

Last edited:

Not sure what you mean, are you splitting the signal before or after the monitor amplifier? You can split the line level signal before it gets to the monitor amp, or if your monitor amp has a line out that passes through the input (a lot of amps have this), then you can run that line out to the line in on the headphone amp. Never plug a 1/4 speaker cable into a line input, it will fry whatever you have plugged into!!

Back