Do you record your drum lessons?

nocTurnal

Just curious if any of you record your drum lessons? If we only retain 10% or less of what we learn, it would seem like a smart thing to do this. Have any of you tried it and how did your teacher respond?

Good teachers should be Very open to it.

Our local pro drum teacher records the lessons and gives them to you on a memory stick.
Very helpful.

If the lessons are not getting recorded, I hope there is at least lots of notes/writing coming from the teacher. I can remember trying a lesson with someone. He talked his talk randomly, and nothing was written down. I had to Ask the guy if he could spare a piece of paper and a pencil so that we could collect some notes. Suffice to say I didn't return to that guy.

My teacher asked me before our first lesson to bring a tape recorder. Of course, those things are ancient, so I use my android phone voice recorder instead.

Every week during our lesson, before he starts on new material he will ask me "Can you turn on your recorder?" And then he will start the new material while being recorded. It was his idea and initiative, I never even thought of it, but I love it.

My teacher asked me before our first lesson to bring a tape recorder. Of course, those things are ancient, so I use my android phone voice recorder instead.

Every week during our lesson, before he starts on new material he will ask me "Can you turn on your recorder?" And then he will start the new material while being recorded. It was his idea and initiative, I never even thought of it, but I love it.

Wow. Now that's a sign of a great teacher. He obviously understands the importance of reviewing and rereviewing material. I haven't even bought a voice recorder yet. Anyone have any suggetions? I was thinking of getting the new Zoom - H1 . I could also use it for my practice sessions. I currently have no recording device. Although it's cheaper than the older H2, at $99 it's still pricey. Looks like it'd be a worthy investment.

Back