2 back to back gigs in one day

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
I love these scenarios. On 4/16 I am booked with my rock band. So I get a call from a friend of mine, a bandleader/singer/guitarist, who happens to be the best musician I know, can I play at a festival w/ him opening up for the Dukes of Destiny? I couldn't turn this down. I had to turn him down for April 1st already, (which killed me) so I had to make this work. You just don't turn down guys like that if you can help it.

He told me that he has to be done by 8:30 because he has another gig at 9, just like me, so he is motivated to get offstage on time. Luckily the distance between my 2 gigs is doable, just barely though. The 2nd gig is a new room we haven't played before so I need to be on time.
So on that day I will go to my later gig, set up my main kit and cover it w/ a sheet, then take a 2nd set to the festival, and set up and play the gig. I arranged to have my son there after I'm done to break down my 2nd kit and load it in his car so I can be free to race off to my 9:00 gig, a 25 minute ride away. Then my son will meet up with me at my later gig and load my 2nd set from his car to my van.

Lol I love this stuff. That particular weekend I have a Friday gig, 2 Saturday gigs and a Sunday gig. I just feel like such a drummer when I am racing between 2 gigs. Life is good.
I'll let you know how it went. Let's hear your stories.

I just feel like such a drummer when I am racing between 2 gigs.

LOL. Memories.

I used to feel the same way. Back to back gigs or gigs Thursday through Sunday used to make me feel like "a real working drummer" too. These days I'm just happy for two gigs.....let alone the same day.

Lazy bugger!! I only had one kit though. Had to pull it down and rig it up myself. :)

That is a "good" tired isn't it. The only one that comes to mind for me is when I had to play a National Youth Convention in Phoenix. I flew from LAX with part of the choir and was scheduled to fly home Saturday afternoon. The choir was asked to stay and perform Saturday night so I had to stay, finish the service and come back to Cali on a looong bus ride home. That was miserable but I was with good company.

I must be lazy if I can't break down, load up, drive 25 minutes, load in, and set up, in 30 minutes. I apologize for my shortcomings. But I will do this and be on time dammit!

I have yet to do a 3 gig day. Always more to look forward to.

I must be lazy if I can't break down, load up, drive 25 minutes, load in, and set up, in 30 minutes. I apologize for my shortcomings. .
Lol, time machine needed Larry! Try doing that with my kit = no way, but that's my fault for having all that extra gear that everyone tells me isn't necessary!

Yeah, love that back to back vibe. Has real benefits for the second gig too. You're already in musoland & vibed up.

I have a big bike rally gig coming up with overnight stay, then long drive to a gig the following day without time to go home. Does that count?

I must be lazy if I can't break down, load up, drive 25 minutes, load in, and set up, in 30 minutes. I apologize for my shortcomings. But I will do this and be on time dammit!

You definitely ARE!!! I can't believe the nerve you have, coming onto this forum, and not only condoning, but seemingly promoting this poor behavior! Being apologetic is not enough. I fully expect to see the SAME kit at both gigs, now. I have spies. Spies with cameras. And pepper spray. Lots of pepper spray...

I have yet to do a 3 gig day. Always more to look forward to.

The days with 3+ gigs make you feel like, "Man, I'm really WORKIN' today!" I had 5 gigs one day this past summer, the first one being a 5-hour farmer's market gig starting at 7:30 am. I was so tired by the end of THAT day! It makes you feel slightly better that you don't have any gigs the next day...

5 gigs in one day....Oh man and I'm here crying about 2 lol.
I've done the farmers market thing too, that's funny you mention that. Leavin at 5 AM for an outdoor gig in October brrrr....sheesh!

Something weird about playing Wolly Bully at 8 AM to people buying produce.

ha! sounds fun :p

just dont get the set lists mixed up ;)

With the festival gig, there's no such thing as a set list. The guitarist is real big on not telling me what song, or even what type of song. He just mutes all the strings with his palm, and gives me a rhythm with his strumming as he's counting the tune off. He gives me the bare minimum lol. It's all Blues related, there's only several different beats to pick from, so it's not that hard.

shuffle (includes every possible variation, and there's plenty)
money beat and it's variations
2/4 straight or shuffled
all the different ways of playing a rhumba
bo diddly 3/2
funk type beats
swing beats

All the blues I play uses a variation of one of these beats, there's only 7. Weird.

Back