Guy Gelso!

M

michael drums

Hey guys and gals...

I recently inquired about the band Zebra, who I was into way back in the early 80s', and found out that they're STILL together and touring! I just picked up their NEW DVD, and it's REALLY GOOD!

All 3 of the guys, Randy Jackson(guitars and lead vocals),Felix Hanemann(bass, keys, and backing vocals), and Guy Gelso on the skins, are great musicians!

WOW!! I didn't remember how awesome Guy Gelso was on the drums!! I saw Zebra way back in 1983, at a club called Hammerjacks, up in Baltimore! Which is not even there anymore(it's a parking lot for Ravens' Stadium).

Anyway...Zebra kinda fell away in obscurity, in the 90s', but apparantly they stayed together, for the most part! And NOW, they've "come out" and have made a DVD of 2 recent shows they did live at the "House Of Blues"- in New Orleans, and "The Downtown" -in Farmingdale, N.Y.

These guys are QUITE talented and Guy Gelso is one of those drummers you've never heard of but regret not knowing of him! WOW!! His solo is FANTASTIC, and his overall playing is excellent!!

Check it out @ www.thedoor.com You won't be disappointed!

Peace...

A band I was in opened for Zebra back in '83 or 84, right at the time when they had videos in heavy rotation on MTV, (when MTV actually played music video's all the time). What a great bunch of guys. Randy Jackson & one of their merch guys came to an after hours party with us. Their entire crew treated us very well. The biggest thrill for me was setting up my kit in front of Guy's huge Sonor Phonic kit, as that was my dream kit at the time but just out of my financial reach.
Bobby Rondinelli sometimes plays with Zebra when Guy has a conflict.

Last edited:
Really?

Rondinelli steps in for Guy?

Wow! Never knew that! That's interesting!

And the way they treated you doesn't surprise me one bit! They REALLY seem to be down to earth, cool guys on their new DVD! Guys you could hang out with and feel right at home with 'em! YEA!

Thanks Leadfoot! Cool story...

Play On! ;-)

Oh Lead...

Did your band tour with Zebra? Or just play a few gigs with 'em around N.O. or NY.?

'Cause, like I said in my original post, I saw Zebra in ' 83, in Baltimore, and I might have seen you play at that show!

That'd be COOL, if so!

...Play On! ;-)

Ahhh..

Got ya, Lead!

Thanks! ;-)

The new DVD really is good, though! You should check it out! GG is awesome!!

Play On! :)

Really?

Rondinelli steps in for Guy?

Wow! Never knew that! That's interesting!

And the way they treated you doesn't surprise me one bit! They REALLY seem to be down to earth, cool guys on their new DVD! Guys you could hang out with and feel right at home with 'em! YEA!

Thanks Leadfoot! Cool story...

Play On! ;-)
Bobby R has done a number of shows with Zebra, he filled in while Guy was ill [cancer I believe] and recently BR did a fundraiser in upstate NY with the guys. You can get more info on these things at either Zebras myspace or .com or Bobbys myspace.

Bobby R has done a number of shows with Zebra, he filled in while Guy was ill [cancer I believe] and recently BR did a fundraiser in upstate NY with the guys. You can get more info on these things at either Zebras myspace or .com or Bobbys myspace.

Oh...OK! Thanks Jon! ;-)

Never knew Bobby R was doin' that.

Cool...Play On! :)

Yea!

Just watched Zebras' new DVD...AGAIN, to check out more of Guy Gelso, and his amazing skin-work! This guy can down-right play, man! Wow!

Check him out, y'all. You won't be disappointed! ;-)

Play On...GG!

I moved from Baltimore, Catonsville, in 1987 and Hammerjacks was the place. I didn't know it was gone.

Wow!

I grew up in Catonsville! CHS - Class of '81. ;-)

Small world, huh?

Oh, and yes. Hammerjacks was torn down, about 10 years ago, to make room for the parking lot for Ravens stadium(NFL football).

It re-opened, at a new location, on Guilford Ave., about 6 years ago, but I think it's closed for some reason, now. Never been to the new location.

Peace Out! :)

Wow, someone mentions Guy Gelso!

Yeah, I still listen to all the Zebra stuff (on cd now).
I have a cool "best of" cd with an interview with Randy Jackson on it.

He seemed like a pretty cool guy on the interview, and the previous post seems to confirm what I thought.

Guy Gelso is a cool drummer, and he played some neat stuff on those albums.
Fun songs to play along to.

...if anyone knows...(it was in the liner lyrics)...what the heck is he saying in that little break before the solo on "Wait untill the summers gone"?!?

My friend had the album, but I just had a tape.
It's been bugging me for a long time, and I KNOW I read what the heck it said....:p haha.

I never really saw many pics of Guy's kit back then...there must be some pics on their site.
I think I remember him playing Tama and Sonor, so I must have seen something, or his name on an endorser list.

I was on their site once, but I forgot about it...I'll have to check it out again.

I remember wanting that Zebra DVD, so it's cool that you guy's say it's good.

Guy was good enought to be in MD back then, and they were pretty popular, kind of a shame he wasn't interviewed and only had the little blurb a couple times (if I remember correctly...I still have all my MD's starting from before they were monthly...)

That's cool that BR plays with them once in a while.

Bobby is a good guy, and a kick ass drummer. One of my faves.

Bobby's drum solo on the BOC dvd that came out a few years ago is pretty cool, and the dvd itself is good.
His solo on the old Rainbow video from the 80's is real good. He was playing some nice Red Yamaha Recording Customs back then....That was a cool kit.

Man, is his gong freakin' LOUD...I witnessed it about 10-15 ft away from side stage a couple years ago before he left BOC.....It went to 12.
I saw the hit coming, and even then it was holy crap!

Yea Karl...

It's great to hear others talk about Zebra. I have a thing about 3-piece bands...Rush, ELP, Triumph, and of course, Zebra! ;-)

Also...Guy Gelso plays Yamaha drums, presently. But I can't remember if he's always played them or not.

And Yes! The new DVD is worth checkin' out! It's really good...with recent concert footage and interviews with Randy, Felix and Guy!

Great musicians!

Guy is a gifted drummer...

Play On! ;-)

Yes!

Thanks fusssion. I remember seein' them live back then! ;-)

Nice vids on YouTube...

Play On!

Yea Karl...

It's great to hear others talk about Zebra. I have a thing about 3-piece bands...Rush, ELP, Triumph, and of course, Zebra! ;-)

Also...Guy Gelso plays Yamaha drums, presently. But I can't remember if he's always played them or not.

And Yes! The new DVD is worth checkin' out! It's really good...with recent concert footage and interviews with Randy, Felix and Guy!

Great musicians!

Guy is a gifted drummer...

Michael,

I was in a power trio starting back in the early 80's (we modeled ourselves after all the bands you've listed plus ZZ) and we did a show with Zebra at Harlow's in Atlanta. I drove Randy(singer/guitar) to a laundry mat to do a little wash. Great guy and what a show. Harlow's was a small place, so everyone just stood right up front and was treated to an incredible show. Of course we had no business opening up for those guys. We just plugged our way through a cheesy set and then let the big boys play.

Thanks for reminding me of a great time!

Wow...

slinger. Great story there! ;-)

Yea, those guys are so cool AND talented.

Love Zebra! GG is awesome!

Thanks for posting, buddy! :)

Z On!

Back