My kit design---mic setup suggestions

One thing i can recommend is go with 2 pairs of monitors, a higher end one and a cheaper one. Actually try to get the cheapest you can find. Your goal should be to make your mix sound good on either pair and then both pairs, simultaneously. I use a pair of micros, genelec 1029's next to a couple krk rockit 10's

The KRK are definately forward sounding compared the the behringer. When dealing with hifi, "forward" can be dialed back, but it's still not flat. I think I can scare up some less "flat" sounding speaker to be sure. I also have some mediocre headsets to try. I found some old school JBL 4312A's on the shelf.

Incidentally: I just ordered a 22" wuhan china as well. Your damned "wall of pies" display was just that upsetting, I felt overcome with "bronze envy" ;)

...not really...I just wanted a deeper sounding China....

Re: Gibraltar

Here is my halftime report on the Gibraltar ultra-adjust hihat stand.

This thing is slick, smooth, and perfectly ergonomic. I never had a comfortable geometry and perfect placement like this with any straight stand. I should have bought this thing YEARS ago.

The hats aren't just close, they are out of the way, don't clutter the foot board area, and the hats tilt toward you in the most comfortable and easy to play geometry you can get.

Best hat stand I could have gotten!

Yet another thing we have in common. I originally bought it to go on the monster kit, figuring that I could angle it behind the row of toms but it was like 6 inches to short on the lateral mid-secton so i was forced to replace it with a remote hat. It went into the closet for a few months until i put together a second kit. I was using a standard rotating tripod base hi hat stand with a gibraltar rack bar attatched to the hi hat stand to bridge it to the front of the main v-rack but then i figured i could eliminate that tripod base altogether by using the ultra adjust stand instead. Well, that opened up a lot of positional opportunity with my 8" rack tom and now i gotta say it's EXACTLY where i want EVERYTHING on that left side positioned. I'm glad i kept it, it's a permanent additon to the kit now.

diatribe9-1.jpg

Funnily enough, those KRK Rokits are damn good monitors for what they are. I'd like a pair if I had the money. 8's or 6's - but being at Uni is a bit of an issue when I already have a rather large pair of speakers set up. There's something I find in old home Stereo speakers that I really like - right now I'm using a pair of Philips speakers from the 70's that my Grandad had lying around of all things. Sure they could be better for monitoring, but right now it's actually working surprisingly well as a dual-function home AND monitoring system.

Incidentally if money were no object, I'd be doing everything in 5.1 anyway.

quick edit: yeah actually now that i think about it, i think mine are rockit 6's not 10's. The 10 is like the matching sub. The cones on my krk's are the same size as my genelecs but the enclosure is about twice the volume (space/ mass).

Funnily enough, those KRK Rokits are damn good monitors for what they are. I'd like a pair if I had the money. 8's or 6's - but being at Uni is a bit of an issue when I already have a rather large pair of speakers set up. There's something I find in old home Stereo speakers that I really like - right now I'm using a pair of Philips speakers from the 70's that my Grandad had lying around of all things. Sure they could be better for monitoring, but right now it's actually working surprisingly well as a dual-function home AND monitoring system.

Incidentally if money were no object, I'd be doing everything in 5.1 anyway.

I have some classic klipsch forte II and kg4's. They are mated with pretty warm sounding electronics so there is almost no "horn coloration." I can't really use them for monitoring, because they are designed to be more forward. I do think the 4312a's would be a great multitasker. I also like Tannoy, B&W, Kef for low coloration/high definition multitasking speakers. I like PMC and ATC, but like Genelec, they are big money.

Last edited:
quick edit: yeah actually now that i think about it, i think mine are rockit 6's not 10's. The 10 is like the matching sub. The cones on my krk's are the same size as my genelecs but the enclosure is about twice the volume (space/ mass).

One of the reason I say KRK are kind of forward: the smallest models have too little bass energy. With a sub, this could be balanced out easily.

I just installed the g plus heads.

The merits: dark, focused, warm

The demerits: They mute, and make my kit sound "tonally constipated."

Verdict: G1 Coated to the rescue.

Back