30s style swing gig HELP

SolubleSound

I got a call to play some 1930s-style swing music and I'm looking for some tips.
So far I've been told the quarter-note feel is very important with this music, and that the hihat has a more important timekeeping role than the hihat.
The bandleader emphasized the importance of an "authentic 30s feel."

Can I play this gig with brushes? Or is it more of a Papa-Jo-style riding on the hihat with sticks sort of thing?

Thanks for your help. You are saving the day.

Watch this video and go from there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3txNQUzyh0w

The base of this style is: hi-hat chicks on 2 and 4, bass drum on the quarter note. Build on top of that.

and keep a pretty consistent, if not completely solid, 1 2+3 4+ on the ride cymbal. Play whatever fits the tune of course, but there's really no need to get fancy with the ride cymbal pattern. Just keep it swinging.

Use big drums,and leave the double bass pedal at home unless your going to play a Louis Bellson inspired solo.Brushes and sticks.Steady time,and the occasional rim shot,but for the most part,stay in the middle of the drumhead.

Listen to as much swing as you can,from now untill then,and learn from the masters.

Steve B

Is there a drum instructor in your area who is familiar with this style that you could take some lessons with?

Back