Is the Musician’sFriend reliable to shop for the musical instruments?

In my opinion very reliable. I have spent a ton there. But it won't hurt to google what you want and see if it can be found cheaper. Sometimes Amazon sells drum goods for cheaper. I bought my last set of drum heads from Amazon and saved about 16.00 on 5 heads

Musician's Friend is a wholly owned subsidiary of Guitar Center and if they sell something cheaper at MF, GC will match it.
Same with Amazon.
I was at my local GC and the guy logged onto Amazon for an Evan's drum head which was a bit cheaper than GC, and he gave me the Amazon price.

If you know what you want, MF is fine. They are part of the GC empire which offends some people. Customer service if not a problem. Ordered tons of accessories from there and never had any issues. Wouldn't order an actual instrument from anywhere because I like to actually hear and play it first. But cables, to stands, to whatever do-dads you need, no problemo.

I've had good luck with American Musical Supply. They have a warehouse on the east coast (New Jersey, I think and one in Reno Nevada. I live in Southern California so it was nice to get something in two days shipped for free (no extra shipping charges) and no CA sales tax. Whichever way you decide to go I would call the toll-free number first and ask where it will be shipped from.

I have used MF quite a bit in the past, never had a problem. Customer service is very good, as are their return policies. As others have mentioned, if you have already tested out what you want, feel safe in ordering. If they know you are a drummer, they will send you a special percussion centered catalog. I also use Memphis Drum Shop, which is worth a look! For me, there are no local options.

I use them all the time, no issues and great support if needed.

Musician's Friend is a wholly owned subsidiary of Guitar Center and if they sell something cheaper at MF, GC will match it.
Same with Amazon.
I was at my local GC and the guy logged onto Amazon for an Evan's drum head which was a bit cheaper than GC, and he gave me the Amazon price.

I bought a Gibralter hydraulic throne from Sam Ash a couple months ago. It was on sale at Sam Ash for $160, but I showed them the American Musical Supply price was $130 online and they matched it.

I'm in a different country so can't order from them but it's usually my first port of call when I want to get user reviews on a particular piece of gear. I treat it kind of like a music Amazon.

Musicians Friend is where I do over 75% of my shopping. I have few complaints, if any.

I've also used MF many a times since '93 for guitar equipment, drum equipment, etc. Always prompt with delivery and great customer service. No complaints...ever!

I'm in a different country so can't order from them but it's usually my first port of call when I want to get user reviews on a particular piece of gear. I treat it kind of like a music Amazon.

That's where I draw the line though. Harmony Central is known for shills and a bunch of inexperienced folk who follow the shills like a heard. The so called "user reviews" in MF are outright add copy posing as a review.

I prefer to find a magazine or forum (like this one) where I can find folks who have similar opinions on things I have experience with. Then it's a good bet that their opinion of something else will also be similar to mine.

That's where I draw the line though. Harmony Central is known for shills and a bunch of inexperienced folk who follow the shills like a heard. The so called "user reviews" in MF are outright add copy posing as a review.

I prefer to find a magazine or forum (like this one) where I can find folks who have similar opinions on things I have experience with. Then it's a good bet that their opinion of something else will also be similar to mine.

+1 The reviews on MF and similar sites are usually just good for a laugh. Although on a few occasions, they reveal if there is a common quality issue with a product.

I use them all the time but I see a ton of that stuff on craigslist all the time. People get it for their kids and then they loose interest and they sell it cheep.

I have also ordered thousands of dollars worth of equipment from MF over the years, and have never had a problem.

There are always several "student" drums listed on CL or eBay. There was a Premier student snare listed on my local CL last week for $70. Case, stand, sticks, tuning key, and drum. I almost called to low ball and offer, and keep the snare around as a spare.

Back