Sexy new legs!

I just played a festival where the stage was literally 12 inches higher on one side than the other. I was on a noticeable angle. Telescoping spurs made it bearable.

I love the design of the legs.
I would like see a memory lock as well as a single wing nut to tighten the leg into the mount.
I don't like to have to take out a drum key when setting up.

Yes, I'm with Larry on this one. How do you adjust for height? They are a beautiful design nonetheless. Every time you guys come out with something new I know its because you're pushing the envelope to get the most resonance and sound, I love it. It also keeps reminding me that I too, also want some Guru's. One day Andy, one day ;)

They look gorgeous. Like, really gorgeous. They make your brackets look a little lackluster by comparison, IMO... I share Bob's concerns about memory locks/the number of adjusting elements on the brackets as well.

God, they're pretty, though! These and the In-Tense lugs are really something to admire.

Thank you for your kind comments on the aesthetics guys :) The legs & brackets themselves are the same as the original design for Origin drums, it's just the "foot" that's changed. We were using Sonor units.

Now to functionality:

Just curious, how flat do these legs fold in? Can you still get the drum in a case without removing them?
The legs fold into the side of the bass drum & offer a very low profile. So low in fact, you can put these bass drums into cases one size down (i.e. you can fit a 22" drum into a 20" case )

Since you asked for opinions...One thing that concerns me is that there is no telescopic element in the legs. I know some drummers who raise the front of their kick up like 3 inches. It seems like you would have to fold the spurs more into the body, making the leg be on an angle instead of plumb. Does this design allow for wacky bass drum angles?
I must admit, we can't match the flexibility of a telescopic leg, but you can easily accommodate any reasonable level drift. We might offer a telescopic spike only option in the future.

I love the design of the legs.
I would like see a memory lock as well as a single wing nut to tighten the leg into the mount.
I don't like to have to take out a drum key when setting up.
Thanks Bob. A memory lock is on it's way, & when ready, will retrofit existing legs.

We toyed with a single wing nut design, but it was bulky. Not just because it sticks out a lot & makes fitting into a case more difficult, but keeping the construction in aluminium wouldn't have been possible. This would have added considerable weight to the drum too.

TBH, the fact that these brackets don't attach to the shell, & our priority being mass reduction for sonic performance reasons, does mean some slight setup convenience compromises are there. We prefer the advantages of the bass drum being half the weight of any comparable drum, being able to fit in a case one size down, & the sonic advantages of low mass.

Very nice and you are right saying very elegant! Myself, I rarely use spikes. Would there be some sort of a rubber end cap? Maybe a conversion?

TBH, the fact that these brackets don't attach to the shell, & our priority being mass reduction for sonic performance reasons, does mean some slight setup convenience compromises are there. We prefer the advantages of the bass drum being half the weight of any comparable drum, being able to fit in a case one size down, & the sonic advantages of low mass.

It's certainly a small disadvantage in the view of the whole kit :)

I must admit, we can't match the flexibility of a telescopic leg, but you can easily accommodate any reasonable level drift. We might offer a telescopic spike only option in the future.

Those legs looks gorgeous Andy, yes telescopic leg could/will be bonus for those (like me) who raise the front of the BD by 1/2 an inch, the other option would be to design the same leg with a slightly longer shaft, the buyers will then decide which one will suit their settings.

A memory lock is on it's way, & when ready, will retrofit existing legs.

A cool bonus indeed, once fitted it's so easy to set up the kit :)

Another concern I have is the rubber ring for those who don't use the spike. There's not much rubber there, and I am wondering how long it will last before wearing down. I use the spikes because I always use a rug so that doesn't concern me. As far as the telescopic thing, all you really need is for the foot to pivot. It seems like there is plenty of height available. I would just like to see a universal pivoting foot so it's on a right angle to the floor. I realize that's not an easy thing to do. Sorry for the negs Andy, but I know you want to hear feedback. This is what happens when you don't consult me before beginning production lol. I don't really mean that lol.

Just curious why they don't go the other way round, to better counteract the thrust of the pedal driving the drum forward. There much be more features on the shaft that you're keeping proprietary so that the drum doesn't slide off them.

I do really like the swing out design. My Safari has that kind of leg and if it had some detents so that it just snapped into an "out" position, it would be great.

After watching the Bob Gatzen video about twisting the hoop by raising the front of the kick, I've endeavored to keep mine as level as possible. Not that your hoops would twist as much, but why do that to them?

Now to functionality:

The legs fold into the side of the bass drum & offer a very low profile. So low in fact, you can put these bass drums into cases one size down (i.e. you can fit a 22" drum into a 20" case )

You mean they actually shrink the drum down a size? How does that work?

You mean they actually shrink the drum down a size? How does that work?
In terms of drum cases - yes. Modern cases are designed to accommodate bulky modern shell hardware, and are generously proportioned. Our minimal mass profiles are compact, & that allows the use of cases one size down on some drums. It does vary from case manufacturer to manufacturer though, & typically applies to the larger drums. Our 16" floor toms will fit into a PR 14" AAA case (just), but bass drums easily fit into one size down. Aligned with their very low weight, that's a real hauling bonus IMO :)

I do really like the swing out design. My Safari has that kind of leg and if it had some detents so that it just snapped into an "out" position, it would be great.

After watching the Bob Gatzen video about twisting the hoop by raising the front of the kick, I've endeavored to keep mine as level as possible. Not that your hoops would twist as much, but why do that to them?
We've toyed with indents, but height is adjusted by degrees of rotation. Our bass drum hoops are fitted with a separate pedal clamp plate, & not subject to twisting.

Another concern I have is the rubber ring for those who don't use the spike. There's not much rubber there, and I am wondering how long it will last before wearing down. Sorry for the negs Andy, but I know you want to hear feedback. This is what happens when you don't consult me before beginning production lol. I don't really mean that lol.
Negs are good Larry. As with everything, we grow & progress by taking negs on board & running with them :)

The rubber "foot" is a thick O ring that's retained in a dovetail groove. It takes seconds to replace should it wear out, & cost is minimal. Spares are provided with our drums.

Those legs looks gorgeous Andy, yes telescopic leg could/will be bonus for those (like me) who raise the front of the BD by 1/2 an inch
The standard legs typically allow raising the front of the bass drum by about 1" if needed. We view anything more than that to be excessive, & not recommended use of our drums.

so those mounts are not attached to the drum? just the hoop I guess? . also, any knurling of the post to avoid slippage? I assume you screw the entire bottom unit upward to expose the spike, any lock so that doesn't happen when not wanted?

A+ for looks and design.

so those mounts are not attached to the drum? just the hoop I guess? . also, any knurling of the post to avoid slippage? I assume you screw the entire bottom unit upward to expose the spike, any lock so that doesn't happen when not wanted?

A+ for looks and design.
Spur mounting brackets (& floor tom brackets) are attached to the external rering (as you can see on the photo below), not the resonating portion of the shell or the hoops. No knurling required. The legs are large diameter (1/2"), & there's plenty of surface area for grip. Yes, the end fitting screws up & down to expose the spike, but it doesn't need a locking nut. It has a very simple tension system that keeps it static. Just wind it to the desired position, & it will stay put :)

Attachments

• Open shell.jpg
    Open shell.jpg
    882.1 KB · Views: 313
Well I'm no help, you did all the R&D work already! 1/2 inch is a beefy leg, very nice.

Wow, they almost look like hi end kitchen faucets!

So elegant, yet simple.

+1......................That's what my first thought was as well

The only things that would make them sexier are some stiletto heels and fishnet..................

oops..............my mind is wandering again

Back