Pearl free floating question

StaggerLee

Silver Member
Hey guys, slightly confused by something. The drums are advertised as 3.5, 5 and 6.5, but I heard they have a 1.5" added from the cradle. Does this mean they are technically 5, 6.5 and 8" deep altogether? That would explain why the steel 3.5 doesn't sound like a piccalo snare. Also how much does the cradle contribute to the sound of the snare? Thanks!

That's the depth of the shell, not total depth including rims etc.

They are really cool drums, I'd love to own one.

Here is a visual comparison ...

AcroliteFreefloater_zps9083c4a8.jpg

I think a clearer way to describe Free Floater depth is "distance between the heads."

So on any stated depth of a FF snare, the actual shell is only part of that depth, so in essence each shell is actually 1.5" shorter than the total depth of the drum.

I think a clearer way to describe Free Floater depth is "distance between the heads."

So on any stated depth of a FF snare, the actual shell is only part of that depth, so in essence each shell is actually 1.5" shorter than the total depth of the drum.

Yep.

The FF depth is still measured from bearing edge to bearing edge just like any other drum. The difference with the FF is that one bearing edge is on the shell, the other is on the cradle, which makes the shell itself shallower.

Last edited:
Back