Original Gloss modified to a Satin finish...?

Birdman

I find satin finished drums (against chrome hardware) very attractive and rich looking. My Japan made Starclassic Bubs did not have satin finish option back in 2007.
I'm real tempted to knock back my high gloss finished drums (on the guitar where this seems a semi common subject - could not find anywhere on drum forums) to have that less "toy/lollip/candy" look I've seen refers to on guitar sites. The wood just looks richer in a satin or dull satin...

Like here:
usa_custom_feat4.jpg

You can see guitars brought down to satin in this very popular thread:
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epiphone-les-pauls/17007-dulling-poly-finished-guitars-pic-heavy.html

Some of them fell a little short of their goals(visible scratches, prominent swirls using varied methods), but plenty/most(?)posters guitars look great. The satin blacks look really, really good. Many contributors keep saying the original poster's methodology and steps works very well (considering taking ones time and not being a hack on such undertakings - umm, the bell curve of life out there).

Anyone drummers(not guitarists ;0) out there w/ experience on "deglossing" or going satin?

Thanks.

I've stained a kit before, and glossed over it, but never removed or dulled any gloss. It should be very possible with some careful sanding.

Steel wool or fine green magic. I wouldn't go after a finish with sandpaper. In furniture refinishing the thing is to dull the previous coats with steel wool before putting on another. Smooths out any imperfections and gives the next coat something to latch onto.

I kind of like a nice glossy finish. I don't see anything wrong with having something new and shiny. Been though the "got to look old and road worn" bit.

Check into "rotten stone" (rottenstone) or pumice. Pumice is a bit more coarse and rotten stone is probably the finest. Both are mild abrasive powders that are used to knock down the sheen of applied finishes. You float the abrasive in oil or water and hand-rub the finish with a rag.

Don't be too aggressive, as some finishes don't meld between coats. If you eat through the top coat, you'll end up with "contour" lines where the top coat has been breached. I'd practice on an old drum or some old furniture you'd be willing to sacrifice.

Good luck, have fun and go slow!

John

Back