Shooting drum video with iPhone - challenge

Shedboyxx

Silver Member
Hi all.

I'm getting ready to throw up some educational videos and I'm using my iPhone 4s to shoot the video. First time doing this.

I've come across a challenge. The room my drums are in that we use to record is not very big. It holds the drums along with mikes for some recording and a music stand so that's no issue.

However in trying to position the iPhone mounted on a tripod, I can't seem to get a wide enough angle to capture me playing without part of the view being cut off. I have to move the tripod outside of the drum room with the sliding glass door open to get enough angle. This of course defeats the purpose of having them in the drum room for sound isolation (want to be cool with the neighbors).

I wanted to see if anybody had had a similar situation and what they did to solve it.

I could try to mount the camera face down from the ceiling but that at the very least is a pain and might not even work.

Any ideas?

Jim

You really need something with a wide angle lens, or at least a camera with an adjustable zoom that lets you go wide.

And even then, I've seen that room, it's pretty darn small!

You can get wide angle lenses that clamp on over the phone. They make ones for close ups as well.

I learned from a friend to shoot with the phone, but record onto the computer. Sync up the sound afterwards. That way you get a decent picture with good sound.

do you need to shoot the whole kit for the demo? also, is it possible you could use two cameras, maybe a POV and a close up of hats and snare?

and yes, i have an iphone 4 fish eye / wide angle and that could work but wont give you a great picture.

Do you have a computer (preferably a laptop) that has a camera? These lenses are usually more of a wide angle that the iPhone lens.

As a matter of fact, I was testing out a mic this afternoon and it wasn't working with my iPhone, so I hooked it up to my Mac. It worked way better - although not great. Anyway, on my Mac the video proved to be a bit wider at a close angle (I was shooting above and behind my floor tom - kind of aiming at my 10" tom - the lens was at about the 8 o'clock position), the whole kit was easily seen.

I just wish the audio didn't suck.

Last edited:
Do you have a computer (preferably a laptop) that has a camera? These lenses are usually more of a wide angle that the iPhone lens.

that's a good idea - i didnt realise they were a wider angle. you could sync audio easier then too. you'll only need a half decent USB compressor mic. or maybe a 2 channel interface and a pair of overheads in the right position.

good luck with it

As a matter of fact, I was testing out a mic this afternoon and it wasn't working with my iPhone, so I hooked it up to my Mac. It worked way better - although not great. Anyway, on my Mac the video proved to be a bit wider at a close angle (I was shooting above and behind my floor tom - kind of aiming at my 10" tom - the lens was at about the 8 o'clock position), the whole kit was easily seen.

Unfortunately no go on the laptop or computer with a camera.

Also, recording the audio won't be a challenge. We have a DAW setup and like others have recommended, I'll use the audio from that along with any video shot.

Looks like I may have to spring for a wider lens for the iPhone. I've priced them out though and they're about $150+. Not money I have to spend at the moment. I'm sure I'll figure out something.

Thanks folks!

Jim

Back