Portnoy vs. Sorum, handbags at dawn!

pot-kettle-black.jpg

I thought it was pretty common knowledge with in the rock drummer community that Matt played the same fill over and over and over again because Axl told him to.

And when you're the new guy in the band (as Matt was at the time) and Axl Rose says play the same fill over and over, you do it!

Great reply by Matt Sorum - and once he explained Mike was good too. Axl's concept seems whimsical, given that the songs aren't otherwise connected, but from what I've heard Axl isn't one to be denied.

Funny that Mike counted the repetitions. Maybe the worst possible person to see in your band's audience haha

Jim Riley told me that his experience in the Nashville studios has taught him that if a fill sounds good, there is no reason NOT to repeat it. The point being that nobody is going to pay attention whether you re-use the fill if the song sounds good.

Of course, then there's Mike Portnoy. Heh, I don't know what to say about that.

Me thinks it should not have been brought up. It is really difficult to bring something like that up without sounding critical and judgmental.

The fill is a motif.

Me thinks it should not have been brought up. It is really difficult to bring something like that up without sounding critical and judgmental.

The fill is a motif.

that's pretty much Mike Portnoy for you. Can the man play, yes, is he talented...Yes, does he overplay...Yes...Do I care about his opinion....Nope and haven't for a long time!

There was a somewhat long discussion about this over at Portnoy's forum.

Got a giggle from a couple of comments from guys who have absolutely no idea what being hired by a band entails:

"Why would a drummer (and I assume an equal partner in the band) compromise his own craft to a singer? I've been in a band, and I know what compromise is all about, but if my singer said to use the same fill 23 damn times in one song, I'd tell him to go pound sand.".

...and

"but if you're good enough to picked for a band as huge as they were back then, you ought to be able to show a little backbone"

Funny stuff!!

I find Mikes comments a little surprising,considering both he and Matt site Ringo and Charlie Watts as a huge influence in their drumming.Same church,different pew.

Steve B

Can Mike play in time for 23 bars?

Jim Riley told me that his experience in the Nashville studios has taught him that if a fill sounds good, there is no reason NOT to repeat it. The point being that nobody is going to pay attention whether you re-use the fill if the song sounds good.

Of course, then there's Mike Portnoy. Heh, I don't know what to say about that.
Yes, it's not as if modern popular music is totally void of repetition ;) ;) ;)

Back