Is this something you would worry about? (cymbal crack)

m00se

I bought a Paiste 2002 crash, 19" about 4 months ago.

Today I was unpacking my drums for an upcoming show, when I noticed a very small minor circular line around that follows the hole at the bell of the cymbal, I immediately compared it to my other crash cymbals and the others did not have it.

I'm now a little worried this crack is going to get bigger over time.

I do use cymbal sleeves so that the metallic cymbal is not rubbing against the metallic stand and its threads.

My only dilemma here is that I can't feel the "dip" of the crack by touch, so maybe its not really a crack?

Also, when looking at the cymbal from the bottom you can't see it.

photo.jpg

photo1.jpg

I didn't think it looked like a crack in the first pic, but started to question that after looking at he 2nd. Now looking back at the first, I'm not sure about that one either.

It's hard to say, but to be safe I'd just send it back to Paiste for their evaluation and replacement. I suspect they'd just replace it rather than try and convince you that it's nothing to worry about. It's definitely still under warranty so you're good to go from that POV (you did buy it new, right?).

You might even email them your pics if there's a rep you could pass them on to.

I didn't think it looked like a crack in the first pic, but started to question that after looking at he 2nd. Now looking back at the first, I'm not sure about that one either.

It's hard to say, but to be safe I'd just send it back to Paiste for their evaluation and replacement. I suspect they'd just replace it rather than try and convince you that it's nothing to worry about. It's definitely still under warranty so you're good to go from that POV (you did buy it new, right?).

You might even email them your pics if there's a rep you could pass them on to.

Ya brand new from guitar center.

Well, I gave Paiste a call.

They took at a look at the pictures and they said they are almost certain its cosmetic.

I'll just wait and see, they have a 2 year warranty on their cymbals, and I bought it 4 months ago. If it appears to get bigger over time I'll send it in.

Paiste are probably right. I had a similar issue years ago with a 602. What is shown in your photo's doesn't look like a crack. Crack's don't tend to develop like this but rather they tend to be radial.

But then there are always exceptions I suppose and conceivably there may be a unusual structural weakness around the hole. I've never come across that sort of flaw myself but others on the forum may have.

same question as Hissig Gompen. If not under warranty what could you do?

You would have to drill out the mounting hole,considering how close it is to the crack.Normaly,you would drill a small hole at either end of the crack to stop it fron getting any bigger,but I can't see that working in this case.You would then have to use vacuum or heater hose as a cymbal sleeve to make up for the larger diameter of the mounting hole.

Steve B

I think it might be just a flaw in the original casting that wasn't lathed out. I have a Constantinople with marks similar to that. But not a crack, and not likely to spread.

Can you see the same thing in the same area on the bottom of the cymbal? As in, does it appear to be all the way through

Can you see the same thing in the same area on the bottom of the cymbal? As in, does it appear to be all the way through

Yes, hold it up to a very bright light or sunlight if you can. Another way would be to tighten it on a cymbal stand, without the felts, and with a bright light underneath, try to gently flex the cymbal looking for any indication that this might go all the way through the cymbal.

Dennis

Back