Gregg Bissonette

WIllY

Hi every one!! I just wanted to say that Gregg Bissonette its an awesome drummer, but I also want to say that he is an Incredibly humble guy that plays drums very very good... I went last friday to one of his clinics and I have the oportunity to meet him, I told my drum teacher if I could meet him!! he said yes so I met Gregg and concluded that he is very good in playing and most important he has a humble attitude!!..

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Gregg_Bissonette.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Gregg Bissonette!!

Gregg Bissonette is a really good drummer. I think he's self-taught also, but don't remember. Also, I know he played with David Lee Roth which was good, and I think he played with Steve Vai.

I got his "Musical Drumming in different styles" DVD and I got’a say it was very, very impressive. It’s a 2 Disc set that last’s 4 hours for under $50 and it’s packed with great info for making music a business to playing great chops. Not just a bunch of "see me play" stuff.
I would recommend it to any serious drummer.
He’s played on the Santana "Supernatural" album and toured with Spinal Tap (British heavy metal) and site reads music very well (he was a trumpet player in school) He has an incredible playing tallent as well as a talent for teaching. IMO.

Gregg Bissonette is probably one of the MOST under-rated drummers there is!

He was Maynard Ferguson's drummer for years! This guy can do it ALL..and do it well!

If you want a great piece of what he can do, .....pick up Brandon Fields "The Other Side of the Story" and listen to "The Brain Dance" !! What a great "play over" solo!!!

Also, his second album "Submarine" is great as well.........

He's one of my favorites because of his versatility ...and ...because he seems like the guy next door. One of those guys you'd run into in the airport and he'd chat with you no problem!

AND btw.......hasn't he studied w/ Freddie Gruber ?!

I wish I could see him do a clinic, I'll check and see if there's anything going on. He's intense....from the videos I've seen of him playing.

I liked Gregs work on the Buddy Rich tributes, and his absolutely CRUSHING drum sound on Joe Satriani's "Time machine" album.

I rmember he played a Slingerland "mint frost" kit for a while, but I think he is with DW now.

Since everyone is mentioning his DVD's, his vid about playing music with a band is great! He walks you through how to make short tabs to get you through gigs and shows you a little bit about reading while playing. He breaks everything down and is very concerned with explaining everything so that no one gets lost. The title, now that I think about it, might actually be: Gregg Bissonette: Playing Music with a Band.

He is definitely one of my favorite drummers.

Cheers.

cactusman said:
no actually i think gregg is currently with mapex

Yep, you are right...Mapex. He has a bio there under "artists."

Bisonette was actually "very taught" North Texas State (Berklee of the Midwest?) and was in their best big bands. Maynard Ferguson picked him up in the early 80s. I saw him in 1982 or 1983 and talked to him after the gig. He was playing a maple set of Yamaha recording series drums at the time. Great player and a very nice guy. We talked for at least 30 minutes while he packed up his own set.

Bisonette has played with lots of people. He was on Pat Boone's "In a Metal Mood:No More Mr Nice Guy". He was with David Lee Roth, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai - his most famous gigs.

Drummer_Boy said:
Gregg Bissonette is a really good drummer. I think he's self-taught also, but don't remember. Also, I know he played with David Lee Roth which was good, and I think he played with Steve Vai.

You guys are right about him and Mapex...I saw him do a clinic here in town a few months back and he was playing one of the Saturn series. His clinic was amazing, he played with the "Thunder From Down Under" track (under 'grooves', the 3 over 2 stuff is even more amazing live!) and also covered a huge variety of grooves and fills, mainly Police, and talked about applying them to diff styles. Go see him if he's anywhere near by! Really a classy guy too.

I saw him in the early 80's with Maynard Ferguson. His style brought so much to the music without being either boring or overbearing. When he played a short solo, it brought the house down.

After the show, he talked with my friends and me (high school band punks) for a while and was totally cool. No attitude and actually seemed to enjoy talking with us kids. Overall, a really cool guy!

John Ruggiero said:
I agree that Greg is a very underrated drummer To be a success with Maynard says it all

haha I'm not so sure. That's kindof like saying Buddy Rich was an underrated drummer. Bissonette is HUGE and has been regarded as one of the best in the business for years (decades I think but im only one and a half of those)

GREGG BISSONETTE is one of the greats. Groove, feel, dynamics, chops...he's got it all. One of my all-time faves. His solo albums with his bass playing bro, Matt, are excellent. I love to watch him play as much as I enjoy listening.

TOMANO

guys, no joke, I totally met Gregg on an airplane, he was walking down the aisle and I totally started freaking out that it was Gregg Bissonette on the same plane as me. Well I caught him before he could get down to his seat andd he totally talked to me and my family for like 20 minutes. Then he hangs out with us at the baggage claim for like another half hour even after he got his bags. Just the nicest guy Ive ever met and a KILLER player. We watched him play some fusion/rock stuff at La Va Lee in LA and he was fantasitc! He then invited us to a clinic and I also got an hour lesson with him. An absolutely amazing experience and definitely the coolest pro-musician Ive ever even heard of.

Thanks for creating this thread! Gregg Bissonette is one of my favorite drummers of all time! He truly has it all. Groove, big pocket, fastness & chops. And he's played so many styles that It's scary. Not many people know that he played with Toto in 1995 when Simon Phillips was really ill and couldn't play so Gregg filled for him during that tour!

Back