Selling a vintage drum set (question)

I have a circa early 70s Pearl jazz set. One up one down, but the tom/bass drum holder is missing. Would a serious collector still pay good money for this set without it? I'd like to sell it. Thanks.

JFJ

Condition means everything, especially for "serious" collectors. The missing hardware wouldn't be that hard to replace. But that would count as a negative, to a buyer. More important .... condition of what you have. Condition of the chrome, the wrap, the bearing edges, any modifications to the shells.​

Condition means everything, especially for "serious" collectors. The missing hardware wouldn't be that hard to replace. But that would count as a negative, to a buyer. More important .... condition of what you have. Condition of the chrome, the wrap, the bearing edges, any modifications to the shells.​

The condition is pretty darn good. One downside is the floor tom top hoop was replaced with a standard triple flange 8-lug, but the drum is a 5 lug drum. I suppose I could fit it with a new 5 lug hoop. Would that diminish the value?

JFJ

One downside is the floor tom top hoop was replaced with a standard triple flange 8-lug, but the drum is a 5 lug drum.

How is that possible? Why not post some pictures of it here so we could see it?

Pictures would help. If you want, you can try to find your kit here http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/pearl_drumsets.htm as far as what model and year you might have.​
An 5 lug "aftermarket" hoop would be better that an 8 lug that's made to work. But, you have to consider cost in vs. cost out. You might get your money back, but not much more than that. Typically, the high price for MIJ stencile kits, is around $350. Closest I could find (jazz sizes) on that site I linked to. 20, 12, 14 ......​

Attachments

• pearl_catalog9.jpg
    pearl_catalog9.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 107
I have a circa early 70s Pearl jazz set. One up one down, but the tom/bass drum holder is missing. Would a serious collector still pay good money for this set without it? I'd like to sell it. Thanks.

JFJ

Where I live one went a few months ago for $300, all original, with the tom holder and all in excellent shape.

Someone has been trying to sell one on Reverb for awhile now - 3 piece '60's kit, all original except for new heads, and they're trying to get $739 for it, emphasis on trying.

'60's Pearl kit on Reverb.

Back