Advice for an audition?

hvymtlmike

I have a pretty big audition coming up tomorrow. I don't know why but I have a feeling of "I wont be good enough" even though I practice relentlessly. Im worried I'm going to be nervous and choke and not be able to perform at the top of my game. Any advice from experience or from the other perspective of what they will be looking for or what I can do to relax and just jam out like I know I can?

What type of music are you playing?

What venues would you be playing?

This is sort of important information.

I would suggest to play like you practiced, breathe, do whatever you do to relax yourself.

What type of music are you playing?

What venues would you be playing?

This is sort of important information.

I would suggest to play like you practiced, breathe, do whatever you do to relax yourself.

The music is melodic metal. Like the new Trivium sound heavy but with solos, breakdowns and more melody not so much thrash. The venues would be local and surround city hard rock/metal venues around Houston. Anywhere from 40 to 100+ crowds from the get go. They want to start shows as soon as next month and I just found out about the audition yesterday.

Should I practice profusely today or will it wear me down for tomorrow? Things like that I'm going back and forth with myself about.

Make sure you lock in with the bass player! A strong rythym section between the two goes a long way in proving a drummers worth. We all have chops and fills but for an audition, keep it clean and locked in. They will tell you if they want more. Good luck!

If you think "I probably won't get the part, but I'm happy I tried" then you might be able to relax. If you worry too much about failing then you will fail.

Just relax. Every audition is different and everyone's methods are different. I tend to not practice too intensely beforehand, just work on specific things that you think need more attention and don't wear yourself out. Oddly, I actually find sometimes that if I take a few days break and barely think about playing, then come back to it, I'm better.

I like to "practice in my head", just think about it, get your brain and limbs coordinated, just finger drum etc. And just remember, if you don't get this one, there's plenty of other fish in the sea.

It's either meant to be or it's not and you can't change that so why get nervous ........ that's the view I take anyway.

I go to an audition to see if enjoy it or not, too many people seem to think the pressure is on them but it's as much on the people auditioning you as it as the person being auditioned as what if you can't stand the music, the bass player sucks and can't stay with the drummer or the vocalist can't sing in tune.
You're audiioniong them to see if it's a band you want to be a part of not the other way round !!!

Two words.

Jack Daniels :)

You better hope there is a bass player present. I remember an audition with only the guitar present. How the heck am I supposed to play without a bass player???

Two words.

Jack Daniels :)

You better hope there is a bass player present. I remember an audition with only the guitar present. How the heck am I supposed to play without a bass player???

The Black Keys, a local band called Gay Witch Abortion, and The White Stripes figures how to play without a bass player.

Thank you to everyone for the advice. I have taken it all in and it has helped. The audition is today and I'll post a reply to let you know how it went. Here goes nothing...

The audition went great! I was way more relaxed after reading the tips you provided and just went in and did my thing. No jack daniels but there was coors light lol. Now just gotta deal with the pressure of learning very complicated songs in what I feel is a short amount of time....

Back