A discovery of sorts? (for me at least) Validate please?

OK settle down....I'm not nuts. First off, every word I have ever written here....was under some kind of outside influence lol. You can count on future words being similar lol. Second, the whole reason for this is such. In my mind, I should only have to practice stuff at 19 different tempos (feels) which are 40 BPM to 80 BPM, by 2's. I should have all the feels covered in that range. See this makes sense in my head, it doesn't necessarily have to make sense in yours lol.

I actually think that 15 to 20 BPM is a valid speed for a song. A beat every 3 or 4 seconds. Below that is way slow, I just went lower as a math experiment. I wish my met went down to 10 BPM, so I could practice super slow. That was the thing that spurred this on.

Grea, re: to clarify....Yes. Practical application: If you practice something at 60 BPM, it would be related to 30 BPM and 120 BPM and 240 BPM.

I wish my met went down to 10 BPM, so I could practice super slow. That was the thing that spurred this on.

Mobile Metronome is a nice little app that will go to 10 BPM.

BTW, I dig your style brother and I LOVE the idea of only having to master 19 tempos in order to have this whole groove thing sewn up. I will gladly jump on that magic bandwagon with you and ride off into the sunset. ;-)

Henri, if you and Grea didn't capture EXACTLY how I felt for about 15 minutes.....Geez man, that was brilliant! Pun intended! Hey it may already be known to everyone else, but it's new to me! Grea thanks for that, you are just a fountain of talent.

Spleen! I figured there was something already out there. I knew someone would hip me to it. That was you, thanks. In the meantime, I actually enjoy making a complete idiot of myself, as long as it's in the pursuit of understanding this whole rhythm/tempo conundrum. Yuk yuk. ConunDRUM! [rimshot]

I'll be here all week folks!

OK settle down....I'm not nuts.

Of course you aren't, Larry *pat pat*

Practical application: If you practice something at 60 BPM, it would be related to 30 BPM and 120 BPM and 240 BPM.

I see it as the same phemon you see in any practice - if you improve the way you play one rhythm then there's all sorts of flow on effects to related tempo divisions and surrounding tempos, along with similar rhythms, and even fills, grip and stroke.

Henri's having fun with my toons again - this is the original but the BPM dialogue definitely fits: http://www.sangrea.net/free-cartoons/comp_joy-of-computing.jpg

Edit: Larry I'm a fountain of useless talent - if there's something that no one is prepared to pay for, then I've probably got it down :)

OK settle down....I'm not nuts.

Of course not!! You're "special".....there's a big difference.

But on that note, I'm outta here. If anyone wants me, I shall be at the bar. Driven to it too I might add. But nonetheless, there's an old barfly down there who hasn't been home in three days now......yet strangely enough, he's making way more sense.

Of course you aren't, Larry *pat pat*

I see it as the same phemon you see in any practice - if you improve the way you play one rhythm then there's all sorts of flow on effects to related tempo divisions and surrounding tempos, along with similar rhythms, and even fills, grip and stroke.

Henri's having fun with my toons again - this is the original but the BPM dialogue definitely fits: http://www.sangrea.net/free-cartoons/comp_joy-of-computing.jpg

Edit: Larry I'm a fountain of useless talent - if there's something that no one is prepared to pay for, then I've probably got it down :)

Love your pats. Lower please! You know just how to make a man feel good and you do it sooo well! Lower please!

See you get the relationship. You just described it above. I'm just trying to simply things for myself. Instead of practicing at 240 different tempos, (40 to 280 BPM) I only need 19. I gotta break it down to something I can understand, as I'm rather dull. I thought you and Henri just cooked this up. More proof of my dullness. That cartoon is universal, a true classic. Just insert applicable text. Bravo Henri!

But on that note, I'm outta here. If anyone wants me, I shall be at the bar. Driven to it too I might add. But nonetheless, there's an old barfly down there who hasn't been home in three days now......yet strangely enough, he's making way more sense.

May I join you Jules :)

...Hey, barman... can we have 2 "specials" please...

Cheers!!!

Am I mental?

Yes, Larry, you are quite mad.

And I LIKE IT-- I've been kicking something like this around for awhile, but haven't been able to get my head around how to realize it. I was thinking along the lines of starting from the familiar moderate tempos, and then doubling or halving them, adding something in there to do with dotted values, then ???? and a whole lot of ????, ending up with a handful of tempo matrices which will be usable in some yet-unknown way. Or not.

Love your pats. Lower please! You know just how to make a man feel good and you do it sooo well! Lower please!

May I email this to your wife? haha

See you get the relationship. You just described it above. I'm just trying to simply things for myself. Instead of practicing at 240 different tempos, (40 to 280 BPM) I only need 19. I gotta break it down to something I can understand

NOW I get it ... what are the 19 fundamental tempos?

You're far from "rather dull" - more the mad professor type. We can be grateful that you choose to use your powers for drumming rather than, say, Frankenstein monsters ...

40 to 80 BPM by 2's Actually that makes 20 fundamental tempos. I don't know how I came up with 19. Please update your files. Hmm 20 fundamental tempos. We have 20 fingers and toes. Hmmm...There's gotta be some sort of connection...... Ommmmmmm

40 to 80 BPM by 2's Actually that makes 20 fundamental tempos. I don't know how I came up with 19. Please update your files. Hmm 20 fundamental tempos. We have 20 fingers and toes. Hmmm...There's gotta be some sort of connection...... Ommmmmmm

Ommmmmmm ...

Attachments

• Ooommmmm.jpg
    Ooommmmm.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,224
I don't know what the heck you're talking about.

At some point wouldn't a person start counting the space between the beats anyway? Where is the point that a person stops counting the individual beats and counts the space between the beats to stay in time?

If you're playing at 121 and lost a beat off the last bar each round you'd sure notice it... it's like trying to play 5:4 or something.

And as for the basic tempos this is awesome.

I got my head around it. Of course you could play 2BPM and match it straight down to 30.

The thing is it's Beats Per Minute. Not per minute and 4 seconds. So work on 60 and divide it down.

2 and 30
3 and 20
4 and 15 (one beat every 15 seconds)
5 and 12
6 and 10
8 and 7.5 (now this is where it would get tricky).

When you start getting down to the half seconds we could cut the last bar in half or play two minute groups.

Or go back to your 40BPM base and have

2 and 20
4 and 10
8 and 5

Ah maths. How we love thee.

I don't know what the heck you're talking about.

At some point wouldn't a person start counting the space between the beats anyway? Where is the point that a person stops counting the individual beats and counts the space between the beats to stay in time?

Forgive me but I don't know what the heck both these posts are talking about so that makes us even lol.

40 to 80 inclusive is 21 steps, Prof Larry.

40 42 44 46 48 50 52 54 56 58 60 62 64 66 68 70 72 74 76 78 80

The tempo table is attached to test your theory (if I got it right)

When you put it together the list of tempos (only using multiples of 2) you get 95 tempos, but as you say the in between tempos are probably covered by these, although the 8bpm gaps from 160 upwards might be an issue for some:

Enjoy :)

Attachments

• Tempo-table.gif
    Tempo-table.gif
    9.7 KB · Views: 1,336
Forgive me but I don't know what the heck both these posts are talking about so that makes us even lol.
Sorry, this thread flew right over my head. I have no idea...now I will slowly back away and slip into the background again.

I'm just the peanut gallery...

Wow Pol. But it is 20. 40 and 80 are equal in this application, so by including 40 and 80, you begin to repeat. I don't understand your 95 tempos. I took 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 to get 64, which was the first number over 40. Then I took 3BPM x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2, which equals 48 BPM, 4 BPM ends up at 64, 5 BPM ends up at 40, 6 BPM is 48, and so on up to 39 BPM which ends up at 78. Then I counted each different tempo only one time, and it added up to 20. After 80 BPM everything lines up (almost) with the original 20 feels. You can see that 48 lines up with 6 BPM and 3 BPM, as well as 12 BPM, 24 BPM...so certain tempos repeat. After 80 BPM is where the perfection stops and then it's splitting hairs. Fascinating.

Last edited:
Yep 20. You're right, Larry. I got lost after that.

I only worked out the possibilities in twos. I've quit cigs but smoking more of other to compensate so I'm not up to doing the calcs with 3s to generate another list :)

I'm being theoretical, of course. In practice I'm flat out holding it down nice at 60.

Aaahh, yes, but that's not what Larry's theory is about, Mr Ace want to develop a system were by using the 20 fundamental tempos, you actually cover all possible bpm's speed rating, a nice concept in theory, similar to Benny Greb's alphabet of binary and ternary notes.

But Larry's concept has some bugs, if I want to practice at 67 bpm for exemple, according to Grea's list, this tempo is not featured, you'll have to use a "conventional" approach with the metronome set at 67 bpm, unless I'm mistaken, no doubt Mr Ace will clarify this one for me :)

The concept itself is cool, and if applied, can simplify the number of tempos to a mere 20 possibilities, which is more easy to memorise than 280 possibilites.

This is were the similarities with BG's concept is striking, there's only 24 possibilities to play notes, 16 for binary notes and 8 for ternary notes.

You can play all 24 possibilities individually with each limb against a quarter note pulse set at a given bpm speed, and by using the subdivisions, playing through quarters, 8th notes, 16th notes, 32rd notes, 64th notes and so on, you actually cover the whole possibilities, you can also play a simple beat with three limbs and the fourth limb goes through the alphabet (posibilities), the concept is endless.

Here's a chart of BG's 24 possibilities, ie: the alphabet.

O = played - = rest (not played)

Attachments

• BG Alpha.jpg
    BG Alpha.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 6,652
Back