Online shopping and research

I've got a few questions for you, perhaps the members here can help.

When you go online to shop for drums or do research, what terminology do you use? Do you shop for a drum set, or a drum kit? A snare, or a snare drum? Do you include the word acoustic in your search? Do you serch for both a bass drum and a kick drum? Bass pedal, foot pedal? We have a unique language as drummers, I'm just curious as to if the diversity of it is regional, more determined by age group, or favorite musical style? How about electronic drums? Do you use the same search words or does that change for electronics?

I'd love to get your thoughts on this.

Electronics are certainly different to an extent, you would probably not use the terms pads, trigger, MIDI or module when searching for acoustic drums.

For drums, I typically search by brand name first, then the item: Yamaha cymbal stand, Ludwig snare stand, Taye pedal, Gretsch snare drum, etc. It's rare that I search for a generic item name, but I guess in the case of a kick/bass-drum/foot pedal, I'd probably use "kick pedal".

When listing those items, it certainly pays to be complete, but also relevant. So, a 'set' of drums could be a set, kit, outfit, shell-pack... but not tubs. :)

Bermuda

I usually include brand names and models. Such as Gretsch Brooklyn, Ludwig Supraphonic, Vic Firth 8D, Sunlite Professional drum set, and so on. You will get more accurate results.

I use brand names too, and I use the terminology I employ in everyday life, naively assuming that Google will know what I mean.

Once I find the model number I use it and the brand name in Google Shopping. I tend to get outstanding results that way.

Back