Any suggested reading?

jayp

Silver Member
I ride public transportation to and from work and I'm looking for some reading material, can anyone recommend any drumming books to read? Im a very bop and groove influenced drummer if that helps, biographies, history of ludwig anything you can think of lets hear it!

Karl? anything you prefer, your the biggest boper on here I know!

This may not count, but you could look at catalogs and stuff. I can look at those for a long time.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm looking for something with content, you can only ready MD so many times before it goes in the collection. :-D

Drummin' Men The Swing Years by Burt Koral

and Drummin Men The Bebop Years by Burt Koral

I have read the Swing Years although it's been a long time ago. It was recommended by my drum instructor who was a big jazz history buff. It was required reading, as he always said "how can you know where you are going, if you don't know where you came from?"

I think they are both out of print, so you may have to do some internet searches to find them, but well worth the effort.

Peace,
Todd

Not a drum book but "Beneath The Underdog", Charles Mingus' auto-biography is not to be missed.
Also "Hit Me, Fred: Recollections of a Sideman" by Fred Wesley (famous James Brown trombonist) is really good as well.
And, of course, if you can find "Miles: The Autobiography" by Miles Davis with Quincy Troupe, it is a must have.

It would help if you could list what you have already read.

Ok, there is a great one but unfortunately I can't really remember it's name. I believe it is something like 'Conversations with the great drummers' or maybe 'great jazz drummers'. Anyway, it goes through the history of drumming with large interview style articles on all the main drumming legends. You'd love it.

Get ahold of sylibi from your local college for music theory education and get reading!

Dont forget to look at the Physics Classes...Physics of Music and Sound is a pretty commonly presented class that many musical minded people miss.

Back