drum jams

ANIMALBEATS

Silver Member
i really find them too messy, you just cant focus in what an individal is doing,,,,,,

i really find them too messy, you just cant focus in what an individal is doing,,,,,,

African drumming is all about jamming with drums together. So it's propably just you. =) And why would it be important what the individual is doing? You have to listen to other's but you don't have to know exactly what everyone else is playing especially if there's more than 10 people involved.

I think I get what Animalbeats is talking about.

We have this TamTam jam that happens every week here (in Montreal) with a ton of drummers of every type.
On the one hand it's kind of a huge fun mess of noise and it's a lot of fun for the drummers & non-drummer, for both listening and playing. There really isn't much structure - which is fine.

On the other hand as drummer who takes drumming as a "serious" instrument it's kind of bothersome because I bet there's not one guy there who has tried to "learn" something on their drum other than playing as fast as they can or making up a beat that sounds like an afrobeat. And at the end of the day it just reinforces the old stereo type of a drummer - not being a musician - in a small way.

it was "drum kit" jams that were the source of my discruntlment. But i can imagine the djembe jams could also be rather frustrating.

Back