CHeck out this SF 2 theme song lol

I would like to ask one thing about this...when the pace is picked up in the song would you kind of call it metric modulation? You really feel like you are pushing against time as you continue through that section. I am at work so I cant give you the exact time it picks up the pace but it really reminded me of what Vinnie Colaiuta does.

I would like to ask one thing about this...when the pace is picked up in the song would you kind of call it metric modulation? You really feel like you are pushing against time as you continue through that section. I am at work so I cant give you the exact time it picks up the pace but it really reminded me of what Vinnie Colaiuta does.

I'm pretty sure that's not metric modulation. I think of metric modulation as displacement. Someone could put a finer point on that than me. I'd say that for most of the song, it hits me like they are playing it in halftime, and the part you are referring to...the tempo or meter doesn't change, they are just not half timing it.

I'm pretty sure that's not metric modulation. I think of metric modulation as displacement. Someone could put a finer point on that than me. I'd say that for most of the song, it hits me like they are playing it in halftime, and the part you are referring to...the tempo or meter doesn't change, they are just not half timing it.

Yeah i am referring to the 25 second mark and the 28 second mark... your right that isnt half time anymore but there is still something slightly odd about how the way the beat relates to the melody being played over it. It is straight time but i get two diff feelings out of it if that makes any sense lol I think its because the melody changes at the 28 second mark and the snare hits on that exact spot which makes it feel odd.

Hi XXX46XXX,

That's no metric modulation. The melody is 11 beats long. You can count it as two bars of 4 and one of 3, or a bar of 4 and a bar of 7.

Up till 0:27 seconds, the snare backbeat is playing on all the numbers I've put in bold, which is beat 3. Or if you count as a bar of 4 and 7, the last snare is on beat 7.

Counted as two bars of 4 and one of 3
1234 1234 123

Counted as a bar of 4 and a bar of 7.
1234 1234567

When the drums double up at 0:27, the counting remains the same. But because of the nature of it being in odd time, the snare backbeat falls on the upbeats then the downbeat, alternating every cycle of 11 beats. This is what makes it feel strange and more complicated than it actually is. All it actually is, is a simple quarter note groove that you would normally play in 4/4 with the snare on 2 and 4. But as there's a bar of 7, the snare count changes from the even numbers to the odd numbers, back and forth.

And at 0:37 to 0:39 seconds, there is a phrase played in a single bar of 7 and then it resumes back to the 4,4,3//4,7 cycle. Hope this helps.

Double time

1234 1234 123, 1234 1234 123

Counted as bars of 4 and 7.
1234 1234 567, 1234 1234 567

Merlin I get a lot out of how you break stuff down, much respect, thank you for the work you go through to post it.

Hi XXX46XXX,

That's no metric modulation. The melody is 11 beats long. You can count it as two bars of 4 and one of 3, or a bar of 4 and a bar of 7.

Up till 0:27 seconds, the snare backbeat is playing on all the numbers I've put in bold, which is beat 3. Or if you count as a bar of 4 and 7, the last snare is on beat 7.

1234 1234 123

Counted as a bar of 4 and a bar of 7.
1234 1234567

When the drums double up at 0:27, the counting remains the same. But because of the nature of it being in odd time, the snare backbeat falls on the upbeats then the downbeat, alternating every cycle of 11 beats. This is what makes it feel strange and more complicated than it actually is. All it actually is, is a simple quarter note groove that you would normally play in 4/4 with the snare on 2 and 4. But as there's a bar of 7, the snare count changes from the even numbers to the odd numbers, back and forth.

And at 0:37 to 0:39 seconds, there is a phrase played in a single bar of 7 and then it resumes back to the 4,4,3//4,7 cycle. Hope this helps.

Double time

1234 1234 123, 1234 1234 123

Counted as bars of 4 and 7.
1234 1234 567, 1234 1234 567

thx so much... i will gladly go through this and comment more later but thank you again for your insight

No problem, XXX46XXX.

Merlin I get a lot out of how you break stuff down, much respect, thank you for the work you go through to post it.

Thanks larry, appreciate that. I just enjoy working these things out. :)

No problem, XXX46XXX.

Thanks larry, appreciate that. I just enjoy working these things out. :)

Keep saying that, maybe it will rub off on me lol.

You put it down in such an easy to understand format, that's a beautiful thing, as is your generosity to share your hard won work.

Keep saying that, maybe it will rub off on me lol.

You put it down in such an easy to understand format, that's a beautiful thing, as is your generosity to share your hard won work.

Cheers larry, I'm pleased you think it's easy to understand, that's encouraging. In our drumming community, it's all about 'sharing the wealth' so to speak, be that physical gifts or information. Just like the feeling I'm sure you get from your amazing generosity, it gives a me a great sense of satisfaction when I know someone has benefited from it. Sometimes things have been explained to me (I don't mean at Drummerworld) in a complicated or vague way or without enough detail that I'm left just as confused if not more so than before, lol. So if I manage to unravel the secrets of some drum pattern, I always try to put it across as clear, simply and detailed as I'd want it explained to me. brentcn, Alan Rieder and some others recently very kindly demystified a pattern for me that I struggled to figure out.

Hahah that is awesome man !! I cant wait to get back to playing...im def going electric..were you running the song through the computer on the set or just from your computer. Great stuff man..i really feel like you can have fun messing around with this song. You def made it clear with the crash at 1...kinda mad i didnt figure out it was in 11 in the first place but its very clear now ;)

Last edited:
Hahah that is awesome man !! I cant wait to get back to playing...im def going electric..were you running the song through the computer on the set or just from your computer. Great stuff man..i really feel like you can have fun messing around with this song. You def made it clear with the crash at 1...kinda mad i didnt figure out it was in 11 in the first place but its very clear now ;)

Yep, electric definitely has its uses for working stuff out. :) When you first linked the song I hated it but it grew on me and I really like it now, and yeah it's good fun, lol. I'm glad it's all a bit clearer for you now.
The way I recorded was I ran the song on my phone and connected it to a little Behringer interface, and the drum brain audio out connections also into the same interface. I then took a minijack lead from the interface into the line-in on my Zoom Q3 HD camera.

Back