Drum store tourism

Bonzo_CR

Silver Member
Hi all,

I live in an area that has some drum stores that are OK, but nothing special.

Last week I had to be in the Chicago area for my day job, and before I left I did a bit of research to find out if there were any drum stores in the area worth visiting.

Well I found a great drumstore called 'The Drum Pad' in Palatine, IL. They had a ton of great gear, and really friendly staff. I stayed for a while, tried some gear out and chatted.

So next week I have to go to Seattle, and I'll be looking for drumstores there too :)

What about you? Does anyone else do this? Any great finds?

I suspect it's a pilgrimage of sorts for forum members here to do such things.

When I visited the States a couple of years ago, I made the point of going out of my way to visit both Hollywood Pro Drum in LA and Steve Maxwell's in NY. Unfortunately, Maxwell's was closed over New Years', so I suppose I'll have to make a trip back to see it... what a shame!

Hollywood Pro Drum was exactly as the guys here describe. Friendly, run by two slightly weird older guys who you wish were your uncles, who know almost everything there is to know about drums and drumming. One of them (I forget his name) even told me where to go for dinner that night, and wouldn't let me leave until I'd promised I'd go there and order a very specific food from the menu.

The only time I've ever done this for the sake of doing it was when I went to Memphis and spent some time at the Memphis Drum Shop. It was cool seeing the sheer volume of stuff they had, but I only bought some snare basket extenders.

I can't imagine someone going out of their way to visit a shortlist of shops, but I wouldn't be surprised if I saw it.

Hi all,

Last week I had to be in the Chicago area for my day job, and before I left I did a bit of research to find out if there were any drum stores in the area worth visiting.

Well I found a great drumstore called 'The Drum Pad' in Palatine, IL. They had a ton of great gear, and really friendly staff. I stayed for a while, tried some gear out and chatted.

So next week I have to go to Seattle, and I'll be looking for drumstores there too :)

You must check out Donn Bennett's place in Bellevue. I used to live there (not the store....well...)

http://www.bennettdrums.com/

Awesome shop. It's also basically a drum museum. If you get lucky, you might run into some local drum celebrities.

Donn Bennett's for sure when in the area.

One of the aspects of touring that I really value is the opportunity to visit drum shops (and pawn shops!) wherever we play, and there are some great shops out there.

One of the most unlikely shops in an unlikely location is Bentley's in Fresno, CA, pretty far from L.A. or any other major California city. It is a BIG shop! Ridiculously, needlessly big... for Fresno, or anywhere else! And a great shop as well. Dana Bentley is a great guy, and has some cool vintage stuff in a couple of his back rooms.

I don't get out that way very often, but a trip heading north from L.A. is worth the detour. :)

Bermuda

Hi all,

Wow..had I kown you were going to Chicago,I would have said you have to visit Steve Maxwell's.....hand down.The Drum Pad is ok,but compared to Maxwell's,it's like comparing a VW Beatle to a Porsche 911.Miles better.

Steve B

Well I found a great drumstore called 'The Drum Pad' in Palatine, IL.

In Chicago, there's Vic's, a newish shop run by Victor Salazar who used to work at the Drum Pad. He apparently has a huge selection of stuff, much more than a normal shop would have. There's also another shop run by Uli Salazar - no relation - that's great.

I really should get the names & info straight before I post... any Chicagoland members that can help on these places?

Bermuda

When I was in Cleveland for a week, I went to Stebal Drums. Great guys, biiig selection of cymbals (including UFiP!) and really helpful when I was searching for a cool stack sound. I'm taking my first trip to Tommy's Drum Shop this week in Austin, too. Hope it goes well.

Hi all,

I do this all the time. If it's a city I've visited before, I know where to go and I look for new stores. If it's a new city, I scope things out in advance. Larger cities have terrific stores not just of drums, but also of ethnic and hard-to-find percussion.

If you're ever in the Baltimore area you should check out this awesome music store we have, its called Guitar Center. Don't let the name fool you, they have drums too!1! All the customers like to tastefully play their electronic drums that are on display, sometimes people even dazzle us with their skills on an acoustic kit, that's a real treat. The staff is really friendly, helpful, hip and stylish (they all have those really big holes in their ears, and black hair like Green Day). The place is really secure too, they check your receipt when you leave!

If you're ever in the Baltimore area you should check out this awesome music store we have, its called Guitar Center. Don't let the name fool you, they have drums too!!

Yeah, this made me spew Diet Coke on my screen :) Very nice!

We used to have a place called San Diego Drum & Percussion ... no longer. But there's a store called Music Mart in Solana Beach ... all music stuff, but some really nice DW kits and Meinl cymbals/cajons/other perc stuff on display, as well as some vintage gear (a purple Fibes kit I drool over every time I'm in there. If you're a local, there's a guy there named Frank who did wonders for my snare drum ...

If you're gonna be in north San Diego county, I'd say it's worth a half-hour to an hour ...

CV

I keep imagining some guys in silly floral print Tom Bahama shirts and cargo shorts holding tropical drinks inside a drum store, wives next to them also in shorts, but with a big floppy hat to boot.

I keep imagining some guys in silly floral print Tom Bahama shirts and cargo shorts holding tropical drinks inside a drum store, wives next to them also in shorts, but with a big floppy hat to boot.

And fanny packs.

Plus, don't forget socks with sandals since the OP is visiting Seattle...

In Chicago, there's Vic's, a newish shop run by Victor Salazar who used to work at the Drum Pad. He apparently has a huge selection of stuff, much more than a normal shop would have. There's also another shop run by Uli Salazar - no relation - that's great.

I really should get the names & info straight before I post... any Chicagoland members that can help on these places?

Bermuda

I've been to both the Drum Pad and Vic's. Vic's is just west of downtown Chicago and the Drum Pad is way up in the NW burbs. Vic's IS the drum shop. I've never seen anything like it. Just check out his facebook page and scan the pics.

https://www.facebook.com/VicsDrumShop

The Chicago Music Exchange is more guitar oriented, but they do have a decent selection of new/used and cymbals.

And fanny packs.

Plus, don't forget socks with sandals since the OP is visiting Seattle...

How the hell could I forget fanny packs? Sheesh. Good catch!

I was going to say Jack's Drum Shop in Boston (on Boylston, just around the corner from Berkelee), but googling for it now to make sure that it is still there- it is gone. They closed up in Boston last year, and now just have the store in Hyannis. That's a damned sad thing: 60 years of history down the tubes. Crap. 95% of my acoustic kit came from there over the years I lived in Boston and the surrounding neighborhood... They'll be missed, for sure.

And here in Denver, Rupp's Drums on Holly is pretty righteous. It is a damned fine store with deep stock and good people. Kicks ass on the big-box stores, anyway. Well worth a visit if you are in the area.

Back