Stupid Drum sizes?

BTW, I got AVH, but who is BE?
BE = Blais Elias...used to play in a little band called SLAUGHTER.

Elias was noted for the usage of unusually deep bass drums. I believe they were 20-22 inches deep. INSANELY deep, for the time.
He used to be featured in a famous Ludwig ad which ran in Modern Drummer magazine for a number of years, showing Elias posing with his COW Ludwig kit and those trademark bass drums of his.

Elvis

Fourteen racks were not popular because of the fourteen inch snare. People worried about sympathetic overtones etc.
If you don't like what they offer off the rack, so to speak, have a custom kit built to your specs.
I have never had an issue with 13 inch toms. High end drums with good heads have a wide tuning range.

I agree with you. Its kinda funny reading all these post. Im going to go ahead and say it....I dont and never have liked the 12 inch tom tom. I love 10s and 13s but never have met a 12inch I liked.

Personally, I did not like the 126" x 40" bass drums. (Photo from Planet Drum, Mickey Hart) ;-)

GJS

Attachments

• Remo Bass Drum 25%.jpg
    Remo Bass Drum 25%.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 3,610
The kicker is that I paid $425 for the shells in 1973...and it was a fortune at the time.

The bigger kicker is when I asked my wife if I could sell my Rogers and use the money to buy a new set, she said "yes", because she couldn't imagine that a 45 year old drum set was worth more than $500. Lucky for me she stuck to her word.

I acquired a '73 Rogers Londoner in Black Strata almost a year ago. I (and everyone who's heard them) absoultely love these drums! I use it mainly as a 12, 16, 22 configuration with a Gibraltar L-rod mounting the 12" since the Swivo mounts have cracks.

I'm curious as to why you got rid of them??? Mounting issues??

Tommy Lee ripped this guy off.

You know, I could see Tommy Lee doing something like this! Instead, he would be sitting above the bass drum with some sort of inverted bass pedal. With triggers and electronics, the sound of this big drum would not be an issue.

Tommy, are you reading this??

GJS

I like the two different bass drum sizes in double bass set-ups.
How would that be for your kit?

The set-up would be slightly awkward without a rack for toms...

...and I'm thinking would both of the feet have a different impact feel when you strike the kick drums? To me both feet should feel equal, but I understand the idea of two different sounds...has a throbbing effect with single stroke rolls, and different sounds with rudiments depending on which foot you lead with.

To me 20x18 and 20x20 kick drums seem more logical, depth is used to change the sound of the drum instead (kind of like octobans).

...and I have a 14x11 low tom (suspended actually) and you just tune it to the right pitch and you got a low tom sound, but it doesn't have as much rumble as a 14x14 but that rumble tends to put out quite a few frequencies that irritate me, just not my taste.

You know, what really irritates me are those power toms.

The major drum companies came about with power tom sizes in the 80s and claimed that they were louder because they were bigger, ridiculous, those Tama hyperdrive toms are freaking shallow and louder than power toms will ever be...I look in the tom angles thread and all those toms are huge, can't even set them up comfortably.

How would that be for your kit?

The set-up would be slightly awkward without a rack for toms...

...and I'm thinking would both of the feet have a different impact feel when you strike the kick drums? To me both feet should feel equal, but I understand the idea of two different sounds...has a throbbing effect with single stroke rolls, and different sounds with rudiments depending on which foot you lead with.

To me 20x18 and 20x20 kick drums seem more logical, depth is used to change the sound of the drum instead (kind of like octobans).

...and I have a 14x11 low tom (suspended actually) and you just tune it to the right pitch and you got a low tom sound, but it doesn't have as much rumble as a 14x14 but that rumble tends to put out quite a few frequencies that irritate me, just not my taste.
I think you might want to vary the depth of your bass drums a little more drastically.
I'd say 20x14 and 20x20 would give more "difference effect" than what you proposed.
Of course, if you're looking for only a very slight difference, then that 18 and 20 inch deep setup would work fine.
...just saying.

Elvis

Interesting. I think the term "standard" is an odd choice considering that these sizes are not what most drummers think of as "standard." I think, for most drummers, "standard" sizes would include 8x12, 9x13, 14x14, 16x16, 14x22. I see that DW calls these sizes "traditional." I guess that works too.
Matt,

You'd be surprised by how many people now think 22x16 (maybe even ...x18, these days) is "standard" and the old ...x14 measurement is just an older size.
...they'll fight you tooth and nail on that, too.
Personally, I consider the sizes you mentioned to be "standard" and still tend to refer to them that way, but I've been known to call them "traditional" sizes, too.
...and hey, 22/12/13/14/16/14x5 is my old kit! =)

Elvis

Back