Eric McPherson ? from June MD

donv

Silver Member
First, I'd never heard of this drummer. Is anyone familiar with his work? What really got my attention about him was his unconvential crash cymbal selection for a jazz drummer. I haven't looked for him on the videos here yet but I will.

Also he said this:

"A lot of it comes from Alan Dawson, like the things you can do with the syncopation pages, keeping the ride cymbal pattern on all fours, and if you can feather the bass drum on all four beats while playing time, that develops serious independence."

Can anyone explain what he is saying about Dawson? Is this about playing the ride pattern simultaniously on all fours, or the ability to play the ride pattern on any limb at any time?

What does he mean by feathering the bass? I understand the technique on a marching or concert bass, but I don't understand how that translates to pedal playing?

Thanks.

McPherson is one of *the* baddest drummers walking the planet.

He's talking [summarily] about Dawson's approach to Sycopation. No, not playing the ride pattern on all four limbs - just a constant ride pattern, and *lightly* (feathering) playing quarters on the bass drum while using the other arm to play the page on the snare (or move it around the kit).

Seriously - one of *the* dudes out there. I've posted this video here a few times:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3gEXcw2Bfk

he's got a ton of stuff on there now - go check him out.

McPherson is one of *the* baddest drummers walking the planet.

He's talking [summarily] about Dawson's approach to Sycopation. No, not playing the ride pattern on all four limbs - just a constant ride pattern, and *lightly* (feathering) playing quarters on the bass drum while using the other arm to play the page on the snare (or move it around the kit).

Seriously - one of *the* dudes out there. I've posted this video here a few times:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3gEXcw2Bfk

he's got a ton of stuff on there now - go check him out.

My god, these guys are marathon athletes! Eric has got some quick, tasteful chops. I enjoyed the video. Thank you.

""quarters on the bass drum while using the other arm to play""

If your saying he is feathering with a stick, that didn't even enter my mind. Sometimes I have to remember, "out of the box!"

Thanks for replying and I'll look for Dawson. Sounds interesting.

Back