Benny Grebs DVD "The Language of Drumming"!

Toza

does anybody got this DVD. what can you say about it, how would you rate the DVD....is it worth buying?

I rented this from netflix and it comes with a 50 page PDF on disc 2. This is the best produced instructional DVD I have ever seen. The shots are amazing! So it's with checking out just for that alone. That being said the bulk of the information in bennys video is permutations (the alphabet) that you can use to explore all the different possibilities. He gives you a few examples to apply these to rudiments, indepndence, and interdependence. Then he explores ways to approach odd groupings and time signatures (3, 5, 7). Then he goes into drum solos.

For me alot of this information has already been covered in other ways (stick control, syncopation, independence exercises) I also have some knowledge of Indian music which is where he takes alot of his ideas for odd groupings.

I think it's worth watching for the performances but personally I don't play funk or odd grouping jazz and drum solos so I didn't take a whole lot from it.

The stuff where he's sitting in his kitchen banging on every thing is damn nice though!

I loved it, it was very informative to me, beautifully shot, very entertaining and funny. His "alphabet" system made a lot of sense to me. I considered trying to explain it to you in this post, but that would just make a long and confusing post. Benny does it best, so I suggest checking out. I would say it's worth it for just the performances, not that the lessons aren't awesome too.
Drago mi je viditi da nas ima iz bivse juge na drummerworld-u :)

^ Haha I was just going to say that!

Buy it for the menu screen alone!

Thanx. i will try to find a copy od this dvd. pozdrav bivšoj jugi:)

Back