any1 into freejazz here?

rootheart

hi,
lately, being 61, I find myself jamming with a guitarplayer for hours on a sunday afternoon, issue is "improvisation" instead of drumming all by myself or learning to perfectly cover a song..what we are doing is this: somebody starts making some noise, and then the other guy adds something to it..such trying to paint a picture together...this does not always work well......mostly it is like musically we talk like lots of people talk:
"my computer crashed..any advice?"...answer: "yo, I bought a brandnew refridgerater this morning...bla bla "..This happenes musically....we record it , and listening to it, but it is not meant for anybody else to listen to, or ever perform it on stage, and it is not meant or beeing reproduced by any means..
Does anyone have experience or opinion with this?
I miss a bassplayer and other musicians...just guitar and me old sock, gets boring grin..

Lately I learned how to make a homepage, and as a homepage-exercise I made a side that provides some random rehearsingroom recordings of such 2 piece sessions....so just to gve U an idea:.just so..
goto:
http://buechlerdesign.kilu.de/kazzemussik
then click: "Eingang", then click "sessionarchiv"
or simply goto:
http://buechlerdesign.kilu.de/kazzemussik/files

I wonder what any drummer out there thinks about this approach to drumming...

Yeah! Dude i've never really been a huge fan of free jazz however i've recently been developing my tastes and these recordings sound really good (i could easily become absorbed with this sort of ordered chaos) : D. I imagine the more advanced you get the more naturally it flows. I sometimes (though not recently) with a mate (guitarist) and it sounds like a far less advanced version of what your doing so maybe one day i'll be able to do something a little like this.
As for the method of musical expression i think that jamming is the best way especially if your lucky enough to have semi pro/professional recording gear (like this) it really allows you to listen to what works and what doesn't. Also when there is no audience you can just do what comes naturally, there is no apprehensiveness and you're more inclined to experiment which obviously allows professional growth, not that you sound like you need to.
I think that the playing is awesome and although some bit are a bit 'erghhh?' that comes with improv and overall it sounds ace.
Just out of curiousity what cymbals and snare are you using?
Awesome man, keep it up for sure and if you keep posting the audio files i'll keep listening, even get my mates into it! : )

I do not know if this makes any musical sense in terms of gigs, whatever. just pure fun on a sunday afternoon jamming without any audience and without any Jury..
I just wonder if anyone has any experience with making musik like this.

Last edited:
I listened to some of the mp3s you posted and they sound good. Isn't that the way early jazz evolved? Several musicians getting together and just improvising and grooving and trying out things? I believed they were called "cutting sessions". Those were back in the days when 1 microphone stuck out of the wall and the musicians gathered around.

Sounds like with modern equipment you are returning to jazz's roots. And it sounds good...keep it up!

thanx for helping me with my english: "trying out things" is probably the best way to name it...
There is no modern equipment or gear...... for the videos just a lousy
randomly set up still cam with a video option,
for the mp3 s just nothing than a cheap mp3 recorder
:)
Do you think I can load up some more than those first randomly picked mp3s to this page´s archive, or should I better forget about it?

Last edited:
Please post all you can! Freestyle jazz is another art form that needs to be heard. What you are doing, someone will listen to and learn from. This is the perfect forum to do that.

You may think what you are doing comes naturally and for you is easy, someone else will listen to it and think it sounds good and want to emulate it for their next jazz session or may want to study it and keep it in their head for later grooves.

One can read books about grooves and jazz all day long, but when you actually listen to something, then it comes to life. Definately post all you can!

Back