Pronunciation thread

I always thought Ayotte was pronounced like a New Englander confirming something.

Ay-yut

That's just a guess, I never knew the proper pronunciation.

Alternatively, I-oat.

The name is Italian, right? Which means it should be pronouced Ah-YOTT-eh, with the last syllable being barely audible...

The name is Italian, right? Which means it should be pronouced Ah-YOTT-eh, with the last syllable being barely audible...

I don't know if it's an Italian name. I want to say that it's just 2 syllables. But I'm just guessing.

Ayotte Drums are in Canada. Which makes me think that maybe it's a French name.

I pronounce Carolina....the Car in Carolina rhymes with the first syllable in the man's name Gary. Alternatively, it rhymes with the first syllable in the way they pronounce "Tara" in "Gone With The Wind".

But if I hop in my car, car rhymes with "are". Strange friggin language, not consistent at all.

I pronounce Carolina....the Car in Carolina rhymes with the first syllable in the man's name Gary. Alternatively, it rhymes with the first syllable in the way they pronounce "Tara" in "Gone With The Wind".

But if I hop in my car, car rhymes with "are". Strange friggin language, not consistent at all.

Over here, Tara first syllable is not pronounced like the first syllable of Gary, it's pronounced like car or are, lol.

Over here, Tara first syllable is not pronounced like the first syllable of Gary, it's pronounced like car or are, lol.

We had a Golden Retriever dog named Tara. We called her Tar-ah, as in car, but everybody else called her Tear-ah, as in care.

Premier is pronounced the English way:
PREH-me-e(h)r
The first 'e' like the first syllable of 'remnant'
Not Pree-meer. (Or PREH-me-ay for the French)

And Ludwig just like it looks (thud, dud, bud).
Not Loooood. In that case you might as well go all in for LOOOOD-vig.

And slightly OT: mischievous is pronounced: MISS-chuh-vus.
NOT Miss-CHEE-vee-us.

Just had to throw that in there.

Met a guy yesterday who showed me his new so-nar kit, then his star-vay snare. Turns out its a stave snare. Reminds me of playing a 3-2 clave on a pair of claves.
(The snare was made of jarrah, which almost rhymes with sparrow).
And of course there’s no ‘A’ in Sonor.

Met a guy yesterday who showed me his new so-nar kit, then his star-vay snare. Turns out its a stave snare. Reminds me of playing a 3-2 clave on a pair of claves.
(The snare was made of jarrah, which almost rhymes with sparrow).
And of course there’s no ‘A’ in Sonor.

Thanks for bumping this. I forgot how much I missed this thread! :)

Lol be glad we dont play brass!

marcinkiewicz-mouthpiece-guide-mouthpiece-express.jpg

They make both mouthpieces and instruments. Supposedly their trumpets are fantastic.

Asking how to pronounce 'Sakae' in another thread got me to thinking about some of the other drum company names. I'm sure there are other threads on this, but oh well, I didn't do a search, lol. I'll start with a few off the top of my head. Feel free to add others.

Taye - pronounced TIE

Tama- I've always said TOM-UH. But I've heard others say TAME-UH. What do you think?

Paiste- from studying German, I believe this to be pronounced PIE-STEE.

Ddrum - I've always said DEE-DRUM. Anyone heard it differently?

Sakae- ???

What other ones are there?
If Paiste is German, I reckon it should be PIEST-UH. As with Porsche: PORSCH-UH. Ending is a flat 'UH' as in 'ugh'.
Americans generally convert original foreign pronunciations into their own Americanised versions anyway.

If Paiste is German, I reckon it should be PIEST-UH. As with Porsche: PORSCH-UH. Ending is a flat 'UH' as in 'ugh'.
Americans generally convert original foreign pronunciations into their own Americanised versions anyway.
Ha! Just read here that it's Estonian, not German. My Estonian is a little rusty.

Back