Newbie here

Welcome. My recommendation on cymbals is shop used locally and only buy what you've tested and like a lot. As for proper instruction, I suggest getting a good teacher. I don't know where you are, how old you are and how much time you have to take classes or practice. A good teacher can cut years off of your learning curve. After that, it is practice, practice and practice.

I second MHD's recommendation.

As far as kit/cymbal/hardware goes, it is helpful to know budget and style before comment. Almost all cymbal packs are "good for their price range". The cymbal pack you linked is just the 13" hats and a 16" crash. It does not include the ride.

Not sure about style as I am a beginner, I like playing mostly rock. I figured I could pick up a ride a little later, only after getting comfortable with the hat and crash. Are those good sizes for beginner cymbals?

Again, my advice only, don't look at cymbals as "beginner" cymbals. You need to start as early as possible building a quality package that reflects your sound/style. I believe that you are far better off picking up an excellent hi-hat and crash used for the same money than a "beginner" package. A local drum shop, craigslist and/or Ebay will have used cymbals that have a great track record and consistent sound.

I'd actually recommend you get hats and a RIDE first.
Keeping time and some basic patterns on the ride cymbal are pretty important. A 'crash' is one action/stroke. A lighter ride can be crashed.

Rock? Look at some used standard A Zildjian's, Sabian AA's, AAX's rides or hats
Where I live these can be gotten used for < $200.

good luck - if I knew this when I started I would have saved $$ on all the crappy cymbals I went through.

Again, my advice only, don't look at cymbals as "beginner" cymbals. You need to start as early as possible building a quality package that reflects your sound/style. I believe that you are far better off picking up an excellent hi-hat and crash used for the same money than a "beginner" package. A local drum shop, craigslist and/or Ebay will have used cymbals that have a great track record and consistent sound.

^^^^^^^^^YES!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^

I agree with Opentune that quality hats and ride should be first priority.

As MileHigh and Opentune said, buy good quality used cymbals starting out. The "Big 4" of good quality (applicable even to professional use), without getting into the more exotic lines, are:
Zildjian A
Zildjian A Custom
Sabian AA
Sabian AAX

Some will quibble with this, but for general conversational purposes,
Zildjian A = Sabian AA
Zildjian A Custom = Sabian AAX
(Let's face it, the two companies are competing with each other, these lines are their "answers" to what the other is offering)

You'll see plenty of pros and touring drummers playing these, too. Individual cymbals in these lines can be had, used and in very good condition, for $60-140, depending on size. A pair of hi-hats for $90-160.

Back