High hat connected to left bass drum

bobwright

Greetings,

Forgive me if this is old territory as haven't had time to puruse all the threads as yet.

As a double bass drummer I've always had an issue with setting the high hat in a comfy position, awhile back I discovered the clamp attached to the left bass drum that lets me set up the stand to whatever suits me. I chanced upon it looking at overseas drum magazines and buggered if I could find one locally (Melbourne). I ended up getting one through Amazon (Gibralter brand) for less than $100 from the States including postage.......can't be happier.

Just a pity the music suppliers over this way don't seem to stock them.

Just a pity the music suppliers over this way don't seem to stock them.

Mate, how long have you got? I've pissed and moaned all over this forum as to the things that just aren't available here.

Never realised just what a backwater we were until I joined this place and had my eyes opened to the sheer amount of kit available everywhere else.

Annoying isn't it?

Thank Gawd for the Internet age, at least we can order things from overseas in an emergency.....and usually cheaper.

It's a real shame the retail situation is how it is in Australia.

I heard a story on here once that it was cheaper to buy some Brady drums (Australian-made) as a US import than it would have been to buy it from brick-and-mortar stores. A real shame, I think Brady drums are fantastic and I'm sure it concerns Kelly Brady (who is an absolute star in the flesh).

It's no surprise that music retail in Australia has taken a dive. I can understand the difficulties though, with a population that is fairly sparse and widely spread as it is in Australia it doesn't make a lot of economic sense to run brick-and-mortar stores, even if your population is roughly twenty million. Comparing that population size to the physical size of Australia though and it starts to make some sense. The UK has a population of sixty million and it is much smaller. As a result we have a fairly good selection of stores to buy from.

If you think Australia has it bad, spare a thought for our Scandanavian friends. The markup in Norway is unbelievable!

Here in Melbourne there's very few general musical instrument shops still in operation.

Surprisingly there are some drum/percussion joints that still seem to be doing OK though.

I used a cowbell post and multiclamp. Not a great pic, but it should give you the idea.

2k002.jpg

Adelaide is also terrible for sourcing parts and drum gear. It is a shame that the retail situation here is going downwards, but the companies dont stock anything compared to what you can find online, and when they do stock it, you can find it half price on ebay or other online drum shops. The government must change its laws on taxes, because its just unfair to shops, and there are many musicians who I am sure want to support their local companies, but saving twice your money is very tempting.

After checking this thread, I'm starting to think of the wife (Who is half Australian) talking me into the possibility of emigrating to Oz in 2014.

Looks like I'll need to stock up before leaving the UK!!

;-)

Last edited:
Yes Gaz, get whatever drum things you can coz its not cheap and very limited over here! By the way, I love your kit!

Back