Anyone Remember "T" nuts?

P

plangentmusic

They stayed on the cymbal stand and the cymbal slid on and off. Saved a ton of time with set ups. And no wing nuts for fall onto a dark stage and into another dimension. Simple idea. Worked perfectly. Why aren't they used anymore?

I had those! They were made by Zildjian and were very cool. I was kinda' bummed when they stopped making them. But I think Aquarian upped the ante when they came out with their cymbal spring thingy's and then things got out of control.....

But, back then, there were less makes of cymbal stands and I notice today everybody's sizes are a little different. It would be hard to market a product as the old T nuts because they'd have to be offered in different sizes, eh?

Or maybe I'm talking about the wrong thing?

I had those! They were made by Zildjian and were very cool. I was kinda' bummed when they stopped making them. But I think Aquarian upped the ante when they came out with their cymbal spring thingy's and then things got out of control.....

But, back then, there were less makes of cymbal stands and I notice today everybody's sizes are a little different. It would be hard to market a product as the old T nuts because they'd have to be offered in different sizes, eh?

Or maybe I'm talking about the wrong thing?

Yep, that's it. Zildjian made them with a "flipable" top and then someone else came out with just a "T" screw. If they have to make different size wing nuts, why not those?

Zildjian's version was the Cymbal Snap and they fetch big bucks on ebay (see current auction - http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Vintage-G...803?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f11b1f0ab - a bit extreme, but $50-75 a pair is not unheard of.) Gibraltar recently issued a heavy-duty version of that, but you have to buy their stand. :(

I forget who made the standard cymbal toppers, but Cannon recently made them in 6 & 8mm sizes for modern stands. I use them on my touring kit (makes set-up/tear-down easier for my tech) and on my local gear with old Ludwig 1400 stands (which makes set-up easier for me!) The old standard thread was 1/4"-20, and tapping the 6mm Cannon toppers makes them fit perfectly.

I think Cannon stopped producing those, but a few stores still have some around. Check ebay occasionally.

Bermuda

Yep, that's it. Zildjian made them with a "flipable" top and then someone else came out with just a "T" screw. If they have to make different size wing nuts, why not those?

Well, that's just it, Zildjian would have to do it, and they probably felt like they didn't need to do it. It'd be a big investment in tooling for a smaller profit than what they make selling cymbals.

I'm surprised that they stopped making these.

Back