complicated blues songs.

At the moment, I'm reading this thread from a totally different perspective.

For various reasons (none of which are anything to do with my playing, fortunately) I'm now playing bass in the band that I've been playing the drums for since November. Committed bass players are quite hard to come by and the band have happened upon another drummer. I can play bass, although I'm much less experienced gig-wise (over a hundred on the kit, never on the bass) I've sat down and learned most of the band's setlist in two days without huge difficulty. Tomorrow is the first rehearsal as a bass player.

Here's the part that I find interesting. On watching the live recordings of the band and listening and watching the bass player (who has to leave for personal reasons), I noticed that his playing style is much more aggressive than mine with a much more aggressive 'modern' EQ and a heavier touch. He's a good player but I bring something completely different to the table. I'm much more of a minimalist in both my note selection, aggression and tone. I prefer a darker tone with a gentle touch. In this band and in this musical situation, I think my style would suit very well and would change the way the band presents itself on stage. Not better, not worse - just differently.

We all play with our own personality. Sometimes certain musical styles can really resonate because of the experiences we bring to it as a listener and a performer. Music reflects our emotional state and indeed our emotional well-being. Aggressive-sounding drummers might not be inherently aggressive people but they might be highly energetic and driven, whereas naturally more prosaic drummers might instead sit back and let the music take its course, guiding only when necessary.

To understand why we play the way we do, we first have to understand how we feel about the music and what we bring to it. I've always been one to keep my parts simple - on whatever instrument I'm playing and beyond that, I sound like me on any instrument I'm playing. Allowing yourself to lay back and bring out the drive and aggression is a large part of personality development, just as being able to bring yourself out more is equally part of the same developmental process. Our music is a reflection of that.

Some of Jeff Beck's albums over the years have blues-based material that is more technically challenging.

Albums like There And Back and Blow By Blow have songs in odd times.

Also listen to some Zep songs like In My Time Of Dying and The Crunge

These aren't the type of songs that happen at open mics, but for personal practice, have at it.

Al did the pastor explode in a good way or in a bad way?

Actually, he and I get the same joke -- that the congregation is so white, it doesn't matter if I play 4/4, 7/8, or 19/47 time -- they can't clap in time anyways. So this probably didn't harsh anyone's mellow. In fact, if worship drummers were allowed to have fans, he and his wife would be two of my biggest.

The worship pastor, on the other hand, accompanied me to my last Rush concert, so I know he was fine with it.

To the OP: Nail the feel. That's challenge enough. Then work on some serious dynamics with the other guys on stage. See how complicated that can be at a blues jam.

Back