Is This a Craig's Scam?

What was bugging me Polly was that I couldn't figure out the scam.
I finally had to look it up.
When I did know the answer it was so stupid that I couldn't believe it.
Can you imagine getting a check that is many times the amount requested and going through with the scam?
The whole thing is insane!
The fact that it works sometimes is insane!
It is so preposterous that it works.

Haha - I thought it was the spelling thing :)

Sure, it catches people who are new to the web and who don't know about the predators in the online world. They're looking around and suddenly they see a tasty morsel all lit up like a Christmas present ... and they don't check out the big picture situation ...

angler-fish_222_600x450.jpg

I've had this kind of response to Craigslist ads twice before, and both times it seemed like the email was almost like a template with the blanks filled in. But vaguely, like: "I am very interested in your musical instruments, when the ad is clearly describing a very specific thing.

Best of luck on finding a buyer for the kit... a real person!
It is discouraging to say the least.
I figured that I would simply sell this kit locally for a good price to someone that wanted a good solid 70s Gretsch standard size presentable players kit.
In three months I haven't gotten one serious response.
The simplest things can be so hard sometimes.

I was trying to sell my Rhythm Traveler kit for a while for only $200. I gave up and I put the mesh heads on it and I set it up as a practice kit.
I have stuff that is in good condition and I can't move it.
I have never seen it like this. I have always priced things to sell and I sold them in a few weeks.

Last edited:
I was trying to sell my Rhythm Traveler kit for a while for only $200. I gave up and I put the mesh heads on it and I set it up as a practice kit.

Sad to see you desert the RT enthusiasts' club, Bob :( I might be the only one left ...

$200 is dirt cheap - someone's missed out on a great deal!

When I got the Safari I didn't need the RT anymore so I figured that I woud sell it to someone who needed it.
Not being able to move old gear keeps me from buying new and helping the economy.
When I sold the old Gretsch I was going to save for a new American made Gretsch.

If the economy keeps up this way this is what we will be playing in a few years.
http://youtu.be/7JZzzrOK4J4

Last edited:
I get these scams all the time from CL when I sell stuff. I can't believe people really have the time or desire to do this type of stuff.

I get real crafty and f*** with them back. I reply using a generic Gmail account I use when signing up for stupid websites, etc. I write them back saying something like "OK sounds like we can proceed. However, due to security measures in my home complex, I will require my men to pick up YOUR movers <or whomever he says he sending on his behalf> at xxxxx location at 12:00pm on <date>. They will be waiting outside a marroon color Caddilac with personalized plate. The money will be exchanged at this moment. If they are not there at the designated time and place, this transaction will be null. I appreciate your commitment."

I get real Jersey guido on them. They never write back or follow through HAHAHA. Good times.

The first clue is that he, in fact, did not spell favor wrong. That's how people who learned "British"-style English spell it, along with words like labour and saviour and colour. So this person can be from any number of different countries, but definitely not an American.

When I first wrote that Favor was misspelled I ment that It was misspelled for an American.
Craig's is ment to be a local ad site. It struck me odd that a person from New England would spell it that way.
I have never had a legitimate Craig's buyer contact me from more than 50 miles away.

I have read many a British car repair manual. I am very familiar with how "real english" words are spelled ;)

Back