Serious Omission - Where's Dennis Wilson?

Luved the Beach Boys.Just curious Is there documented proof as to what drummer played on what songs by them??? I Know Hal Played on the Good Vibrations song because theres you tube footage of it.But there must be a copy of credits to who played on what???? Always wondered this.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI-jZfbDY48 He looks ok to me......

Last edited by a moderator:
lets say Dennis played on 100% of their albums....still doesn't rate a spot on here. just not anything going on really.

Luved the Beach Boys.Just curious Is there documented proof as to what drummer played on what songs by them??? I Know Hal Played on the Good Vibrations song because theres you tube footage of it.But there must be a copy of credits to who played on what???? Always wondered this.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI-jZfbDY48 He looks ok to me......

There's plenty of documantation,in the form of studio logs and musicians union signed contracts,that name the particular song on which they played .Google "The Wrecking Crew",to see that Hal Blaine was actually 10 of your favorite drummers.

Steve B

To this day I find it kinda strange that Ringo Starr is worshipped but Dennis (who in many ways was a similar self taught drummer) is never mentioned...

... He however, took his songwriting most seriously and this talent including all the songs he lent to the BB's as well as his "Pacific Ocean Blue" album are incredible artistic contributions...

...Most of all- he endorsed Camco drums and up until 1975 he is ALWAYS seen playing either a Camco or a Rogers kit. He almost always used a Rogers Dynasonic snare-thus he had fantastic taste in drum gear.

This is a drummer's forum and so by far most members will gravitate more towards Ringo because he was first and foremost a drummer. Dennis Wilson was the opposite, drumming was just a (minor?) part of his musical persona.
The Beatles versus Beach Boys comparisons invariably always appear and I find them dissapointing. Apple versus oranges. What's the point?
Yes, the Beatles had a drummer with more "style". But the Beach Boys had a drummer who could sing (that's no slight on Ringo, I love Octpus' Garden).

In regard to Dennis' choice of equipment, this does perhaps indicate that he was at least sensitive to the nuances of "his" instrument which confirms his credentials as a musician. I recall reading that Keith Moon, the apparently raging lunatic, also had well established preferences (Gretsch Snare drums) which reveals a more refined approach than many would give him credit for.

I'll even go you one step further.Although I reguard Dennis as a good drummer,he dosen't come close in my opinion,to the groove,creativity,and musicallity of Ringos playing.I also agree with PFOG about using substitute drummers.The Beach Boys used drummers other than Dennis not just in the studio,but LIVE also.
[Steve B

Again, comparing Dennis and Ringo on the drums makes no sense. To the public they were both "The drummer" in their respective bands but while Ringo appears to have been more sincerely preoccupied with his "offical" instrument, Dennis was much more involved in many other aspects of the Beach Boys' performances. Much is also made of the Ringo factor of "playing for the music/doing what's right for the music". In this sense one could say that Dennis made the ultimate move in favour of the music: he moved over for a dedicated drummer to take his place and propel the Beach Boys forward into new territory while Dennis himself contributed vocals and other to the band. Could Ringo have done that?

Something else worth remembering is that Dennis was a multi-instrumentalist and a songwriter. I also think that one of the strengths of the Beach Boys is that they weren't snobby about getting musicians in to help - for example Ricky Fataar in later line ups. This didn't mean Dennis wasn't doing anything - he was playing keys, singing and songwriting (listen to "Cuddle Up" ... awesome song!).

I my opinion classification of "great drummer" is so subjective to be meaningless. Dennis was not technically amasing ... however he was extremely talented as an all round musician and brought a level of feel to his performance that would be beyond many technically proficient drummers.

This last point really sums up Dennis Wilson.

He almost certainly falls short of the requiremets needed to gain reverence and admiration on a dedicated drummers forum. However, he undoubtedly was a rare musical spirit. Fortunate to find himself in the company of his brothers Brian and Carl? Perhaps.
Nonetheless, while I can only dream of being a respected drummer, I could much less ever hope to equal the musical stature of Dennis Wilson.

That's why there are very dedicated fans who rushed to the buy his solo album when it was finally released on CD as though it were a Brian Wilson album. Not many drummers can say that.

This is just a guess but the Wilson dad was a monster and probably Dennis was part of the family, so played the drums. Dad, the manager probably realized Dennis’ short comings and wanted only the best. Brian also became a perfectionist in his own right and Dennis was OK but not great.

Back